News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Drumit5 Mk 1 Cym choke problem in SSD5

Started by Mike F., August 17, 2022, 12:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike F.

Hi all.

Been gigging my drumit5 Mk 1 weekly now for about 4 months with no issues at all after a break of a few years. Last two outings, have been using SSD5 connected via MIDI-out-to-usb on our sound engineer's laptop.

All is well - and sounds good - except for an odd issue with the choke function. I'm using two CY-12C cyms as crashes. The choke function on both cyms lags slightly, but that's liveable with.

Main issue is that both cyms will intermittently choke while simply being struck as a crash. Even when being struck at the same spot on the cym. Any ideas on why this might be?

The choke function works perfectly in the orange box itself.

TIA
Mike   

Mike F.

UPDATE: Well, we gave up on that one, bought SDSE, and now I run a nice Slate 5 kit from the Orange Box, using L and R outs. Works great. Love my Drumit 5 Mk 1.
:D

welshsteve

The main issue I can see is that SSD5 uses a note/sample for chokes, not aftertouch like most systems. Also, the choke on SSD is a bit laggy, not in it's response, but the sound of the choke is, how can I put it, should be more abrupt.

As for the random choking after crashing could be possibly a membrane switch issue on one of your crashes. Or, if a secondary hit created the choke note telling SSD5 to mute that crash.

But, if you have solved it by using imported samples from SSD5 directly into the Di5, then it's all good. Best of all is that now you only need one unit live rather than a module, interface and a laptop.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Mike F.

Yes, your points are all good, Steve. Thanks for your input and enthusiasm.  8)