News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

From Drumit5 Mk1 to Drumit3?

Started by Koskis, July 15, 2022, 08:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koskis

Hi,

Iam an owner of 10 year old Drumit5 Mk1 module, rack and combination of 2box snare, toms, ride, and the rest Roland cymbals and pads. All my tom outputs are split for splashes, beeps, effects, etc.  I have used the kit for both practice and gigs.

I love the sounds of the module and rack + 2box pads have taken the beating without issues and I have learned to work around the 2box challenges (using acoustic hi-hat live and switched to Roland kick pad). However - I have gotten slightly frustrated about uneven ride triggering and also thinking of occasional live e-hihat use for better volume control. Also looking for some changes for fun. I did consider Roland TD27 - but it sounds terrible, and Pearl Mimic Pro - but its too pricy. I am thinking whether upgrading to Drumit3 (possibly with card extension) to enable better support for Roland cymbals, or Drumit5, Mk2 is a useful option.

1) Any other Mk1 -> Mk2 (drumit3 or 5) upgraders? Is it worth it?
2) All my cymbals have 1 output currently, but I want to utilize 3 zone cymbals (2 outputs) in future especially for new ride and hihat. In Drumit3, is it still possible to utilize Cymbal inputs A and B to different pads (for those older 1 output cymbals) ?
3) I understood that 2box brand has had recent ownership changes. Have people been able to to get support from the "factory" recently? How is the response?

Thanks,
Juha

welshsteve

Cymbal input A and B are for use with two cable, Roland style cymbals only. Input B cannot be used as a separate 1 zone input unfortunately.
Many people split the toms off to lose the rim for use for such things though, so you can expand the module to have more than 3 cymbals.
You definitely will see an improvement with triggering with the new Di3/5 mk2 universal trigger interface though. Namely the use of Yamaha 3 zone pads and 3 zone cymbals from one cable is a bonus!
In my experience the older TP120/110 rubber pads were the best for this. The XP series pads less so, they're colder in signal and the rims aren't as clean for some reason. But they do feel lovely to play though! But I really liked the TP pads though, best rubber pads ever. They're easy to come by too and cheap as!
Sound wise you'll not hear any difference, it uses the same sample format.
If it was me, I would keep hold of your Mk1 module for the use of extra inputs, and pick up a Di3 either new or second hand, they do pop up occasionally.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!