News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Dawless MIDI sequencing DrumIt Five MKII

Started by avetisk, April 08, 2022, 10:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avetisk

Hi,

I have almost completed my dawless setup (why dawless? that's another topic).

But I was missing some great drums.

I have different sample based drum machines, which are great enough for different styles, but won't fit for other genres like jazz.

For instance, I want to recreate some smooth jazz atmosphere, with some freestyle, etc., but I can't do that with drum machines (think lack of chokes, velocity control is crappy, etc.).

So here's my question: how far and how easily can I MIDI sequence the 2box DrumIt Five MKII?

I use the new Hapax as my main MIDI brain, and it supports MPE, etc.

But as far as I have looked, most drum sound modules won't play nicely with MIDI, esp. when it comes to choking and handling velocity properly.

Plus, it seems to be a nightmare to handle hi-hats (gone through discussion on Roland's modules and Perl's Mimic Pro).

The 2box DrumIt Five MKII is an expensive tool and I don't want to invest in something I won't use.

I need to insist on one last point: I don't have any pads, and I don't intend to have any in the near future.

My sole goal is to use the DrumIt Five MKII only through MIDI, meaning that I will input every single not through this machine: https://squarp.net/hapax/

Thanks 🙏

welshsteve

Well the module is a good as the sounds you wish to put in it if you don't like any of the stock library sounds.

You're best bet beyond being recommended or discouraged against, using a drumit5 mk2 is to try it yourself. Get one and give it a serious work out, if it don't meet your requirement, return it within the grace period. I am not sure what country you're in, but in UK that's about 14 days. Plenty of time to know if it's for you.

My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

welshsteve

Here's a bunch of videos of the drumit3 being played from a controller... disregard the sounds, as you have a clear idea of what you want, the beauty of the 2box is the ability to load a custom sound in. So if you can get those sounds sampled in as many velocities as you'll like, the drumit editor will make them for you to load into the module.

There's some things to take into account before doing that, but in my experience, 35-40 layers is absolutely fine to get a really good realistic playing experience.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trapkat+with+drumit+3

avetisk

Thank you very much for your answers!

Indeed, the customization part is very attractive.

As for the videos, is there any with a MIDI sequencer?

Because my main concern is sequencing, not playing: I would like to input the notes myself from my sequencer.

Thank you again!

BTW, I didn't know about the TrapKAT, it's a pure beast! I guess now I know which kind of controller I want :D

welshsteve

Rest assured it will work fine from a midi sequencer. The mapping of sounds to the channels will be the big obstacle, but once lined up, whatever is played into, and sent out of the Midi port of, the Drumit module, will be replayed the same.

avetisk

Quote from: welshsteve on April 11, 2022, 02:09:25 AM
Rest assured it will work fine from a midi sequencer. The mapping of sounds to the channels will be the big obstacle, but once lined up, whatever is played into, and sent of the Midi of, the Drumit module, will be replayed the same.

That's what I wanted to hear 😁

welshsteve

I'll put it another way, when I have used the drumit5 into a sequencer (midi out and mid back in) what was played came right back as it was played as long as there's no midi filters applied. CC values, stuff like that.

There is a known issue with 3 zone Yamaha pads that the cross stick zone (rim 2 in Yamaha terms) doesn't send a midi note. But as you wasn't looking to use the Yamaha 3 zone pads, this won't affect you.

avetisk

Here is the thing, I won't use ANY pad.

Literally, I won't use any single pad.

I want to add the notes directly on my sequencer.

That's why I'm hesitating, because I don't know if: 1/ it's possible, 2/ how difficult it is.

welshsteve

Via midi, no problem.

So, you're looking to program a drum machine or looper? Can you give me some more info as to how you're planning to do this. You might have explained this already in your original post so forgive me if I am asking a question you have already answered.