News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Module not being read through laptop

Started by braghds, January 12, 2022, 03:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

braghds

Hey guys, when I plug the module via usb there is no response from my laptop as in the device isn't recognized. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

welshsteve

Has this always been the case? Is the the first time you're trying to connect to USB? What module is it?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Deve Loper

Hi. Maybe too obvious, but do you hold the left button over the display when you switch on?
Thats how to get into usb mass storage mode.
Best, Deve.

braghds

Quote from: welshsteve on January 12, 2022, 08:17:52 PM
Has this always been the case? Is the the first time you're trying to connect to USB? What module is it?

It is the first time I can recall plugging it in via usb to laptop, the module is a 2box Drumit 5.

Quote from: Deve Loper on January 13, 2022, 12:34:22 PM
Hi. Maybe too obvious, but do you hold the left button over the display when you switch on?
Thats how to get into usb mass storage mode.
Best, Deve.

Nothing happens when I hold this, there's also no light on the 'usbmidi' letters when I plug it into the laptop

Deve Loper

Hi. Sorry to ask again, but you hold the left button while switching on power?
Even if not connected with a cable, it should read "usb not connected" on the lcd.
(And it doesn't load the OS in this mode).
Then when connecting the usb cable, it should read "usb connected".

If you get as far as the "not conn" msg, try different cable, diff usb port, diff pc.

Best, Deve.

braghds

Thanks for your help man, I have done that and my laptop now reads the device and I can look at storage. However I am trying to get the module to be read by Clone Hero which is still not happening. Perhaps this is an issue with clone hero itself but I am not sure. I think there may be a problem with usb midi as when I plug the device in via usb in 'normal' mode or in the usb mode like you mentioned (holding the left button), the usb midi light does not light up.

Deve Loper

Hi. Good it connects now.

The DI5 does not have midi over usb. It was supposed too but never happened.
Thats why the usb.midi led is non functional.

As your pc can read the di5 files now, everything else is upto your pc programs.

Best, Deve.

braghds

Oh ok, thanks again for the reply. That's a big downer.

Would you have any suggestions as to how I can optimize the module for use as a midi controller or is it just trial and error? I tried connecting the module via midi to an interface yesterday but the program I'm trying to use (Clone Hero) didn't recognize any triggers when I tried to map them. My next attempt will be to maybe try everything through MacOS as this was all done on windows.

Deve Loper

Hi. The DI5 sends a base midi note for each pad, and for every next zone the next higher note.
This is set on the unit-intf page for each channel. Midi in/out is on din only.

I cant help with clone hero.

Best, Deve.

braghds

Thanks, I'm not really sure what most of that means but I guess I'll have to try figure it out if I want to make sure I need a different module.

The module doesn't respond via USB to macOS either, I'm guessing that the SD card is formatted to windows or something

Thanks again

Deve Loper

With the DI5 in usb mode, the storage is a std fat32 drive.
Definitively recognized by a Mac.
And no usb midi with a Mac either, since its not implemented on DI5.

No offence, but it seems you are a bit lost with the concepts here.
Maybe read the manual...?

braghds

Idk what to say, the device was not recognized on Mac earlier when I did the exact same thing to access storage as I did on Windows (hold left button upon power up). Same wire for both.

I will give the manual a read and try understand some things a bit clearer. Thanks once again for your replies. :)