News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Splitting the sound from one cymbal output

Started by Dobly, December 24, 2021, 06:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobly

If I run a stereo plug in CYMB 1A and run a cable and spilt it to 2 different pads, how to do I hear one layer on one pad and the another layer on the other pad? Is this possible?

ANGR77

Hi!

In general - if you split a 2box input in to two pads - you can trigger two different sounds...with their layers. A dsnd sound file have often 1-3 different sounds. Bow, bell, edge etc...where each sound can have 1-127 layers.

Then you can mix and match the sounds and layers using apps like - Lustark Drumit Manager...

So to the question- what do you want achieve?

Best regards

Anders / Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Dobly

Anders

I made a diy multipad thing with 6 pads., I am sending it CYMB1, CYBM2 and CYMB3... The top 3  A ports for the 3 cymbals. I have a stereo plug in there. When it gets to the pad I spilt the tip off the one pad, and the sleeve off to another. The tip has a sound, the sleeve does not..

This with ANY cymbal I put there. I have a Ride on CYMB2, All i get is the bell sound on one of the pads. There is no sound on the sleeve of the plug..

Dkit Manager does not let you assign sounds to the different layers in a cymbal. But DSound Manger lets you make a cymbal with any wav files you want.

kenjwright

Quote from: Dobly on December 30, 2021, 07:32:06 AM
I spilt the tip off the one pad, and the sleeve off to another. The tip has a sound, the sleeve does not..
I believe your problem is that the sleeve is the ground. With a stereo cable you should be using tip to one pad and ring to the other to have separate sounds.

Cheers!

Ken
Ludwig Acoustics, Paiste Cymbals, Drum Brothers Djun Djuns, ddrum3, ddrum4, 2BOX DrumIt Five, Pintech Cymbals, MegaDrum56, eDRUMin-4

Sabian63

My understanding is that you can split the signal on the tom and snare channels - but not on the cymbals.... feel free to correct me of anyone know's any different.

Chris

Dobly

Quote from: kenjwright on December 30, 2021, 08:10:10 PM
I believe your problem is that the sleeve is the ground. With a stereo cable you should be using tip to one pad and ring to the other to have separate sounds.

Ken.. Just a terminology problem at my end. Tip and Ring I mean. There is no sound on the ring

kenjwright

Quote from: Dobly on December 31, 2021, 03:46:08 AM
Ken.. Just a terminology problem at my end. Tip and Ring I mean. There is no sound on the ring
Ah, ok. I do not have a module to test myself so just theory based on what is described in the manual. I would think based on the input descriptions that a dual zone configuration should work fine on any snare/tom/cymb input. How is your sound file configured? Cymbal sound files will have a different configuration than snare/tom so try using a snare/tom configuration using just the head & rim. Also, the manual describes this setup in detail using the snare/tom inputs along with perc 1-5 to provide for more single zone pads, which seems to match what you are trying to do? Hope this helps a little!

Cheers!

Ken

Ludwig Acoustics, Paiste Cymbals, Drum Brothers Djun Djuns, ddrum3, ddrum4, 2BOX DrumIt Five, Pintech Cymbals, MegaDrum56, eDRUMin-4

Dobly

I have 2 of these 6 pad mulitpad things.

On the first I have TOMS 1, 2 and 3, via a stereo plug. All the pads work as I can assign sounds to the rims.

On the 2nd of the multipads I CYMB 1, 2 and 3, A, Only one sound

I could use the snare and the bass drum and tom 4 I suppose.. Tom 4 is ok but I had plans to add another bass drum pad and pedal. Likewise another Snare pad.

Would be good to get and be able to set the sounds on the different cymb layers... I know I can do it with dSound Manager. But even if I do, the sound is not on the ring.

ANGR77

I am afraid that your thoughts are right. The cymbal channels can only handle a couple of trigger types...and they are all limited to piezo/switch type of implementations. (CYPS, CYpss etc) This makes them useless by design to split. A switch rely on a piezo to work. What we are looking for is a piezo/piezo input...and this can be achieved (PADPP) on all other channels except the cymbal channels on MKII/Three. (The kick and hihat channels can't do this either)

So regards of layers and other stuff...it will be almost impossible to split to separate pads when dealing with a piezo/switch implementation.

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Dobly

Thanks Anders. I figured as much.. Still an awesome module.. :)

welshsteve

Whether you wish to spend anymore money, I would SERIOUSLY consider a 4 channel edrumin trigger module. It'll open a lot of possibities. Splitting inputs being just ones.

Alternatively you could keep an eye out for a SH Drumit5 module, the original orange one. I see these going for about £250.. The best benefit, double your inputs, outputs.

My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Karbonfaiba

If 2box supported it's 3rd snare zone with MIDI-in, eDrumin would have a definitive use. The only benefit I see for it currently is finer control over trigger calibration and it's hotspot suppression.

welshsteve

Am I to understand that the 3 zones snare sounds, if played from a Yamaha pad, don't transmit 3 different midi notes?

The edrumin in split mode would access the 2 zones on each cymbal channel, that's what I assume anyway. Hence my suggestion.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Karbonfaiba

Well yes, PaPSS and PaPSY settings support 3 zone snares with switches - so it will work with the Yamaha XP120SD if you want it!

However MIDI wise; only F2 and F#2 according to the manual, no support for piezo/piezo 3rd zones - even through MIDI.