News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Best Hi-Hat Controller?

Started by Sabian63, November 19, 2021, 05:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabian63

I currently have a goedrum hi-hat controller which I believe has a closed, 1/4 open, 1/2 open, open mechanism - and I find that I don't get enough gradation on the hi-hat cymbals opening. Is there a better (and affordable) hi-hat controller that will work with my DI5 mk2 module? (FYI I'm using a Yamaha PCY135 as the hi-hat cymbals pad)

Thanks in advance for any help received/wisdom shared.

Chris

Murgen

Years ago I swapped to Zildjian Gen16 hats with the Gen16 module. I'm very disappointed in how Zildjian treats their customers but it works and real hats so very comfy.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

welshsteve

Quote from: Sabian63 on November 19, 2021, 05:23:55 PM
I currently have a goedrum hi-hat controller which I believe has a closed, 1/4 open, 1/2 open, open mechanism - and I find that I don't get enough gradation on the hi-hat cymbals opening. Is there a better (and affordable) hi-hat controller that will work with my DI5 mk2 module? (FYI I'm using a Yamaha PCY135 as the hi-hat cymbals pad)

Thanks in advance for any help received/wisdom shared.

Chris

The Goedrum hihat controller should have a much more fluid transition than that. You should be able to see it in the calibration page moving from closed to open and everything in between. If you're getting "jumps" in the transitions, I would suggest there's a fault. This happened with my Goedrum controller after a few years. They do wear unfortunately.

But before you go out and buy a new one, try and clean the track first with switch cleaner. Basically the mechanism is the same as a fader from a mixer, so get some switch cleaner (Servisol is what I used) and spray it in the crevice. You will need to open the controller to get at it.

Did that work for me? No. But it has worked for others. A can of servisol a lot cheaper than a new controller so it's worth trying first.

Good luck!
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!