News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Do cymbals with holes wear off sticks?

Started by Wilbo, November 19, 2021, 12:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilbo

I'm thinking of buying a set of low volume/real feel e-cymbals like Jobeky or Diamond. The only thing I'm worried about is the holes in the cymbals and how that affects the wooden tips of my sticks. Anybody here that has experience with these cymbals? Do the tips of your sticks wear off faster by playing hi-hats and ride with holes in them?

welshsteve

if you're using an edit, you're better off with Nylon sticks anyway. Wooden tips can have small splinters come off over time, you may not notice first off but these can snag on your mesh heads and reduce their life.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Wilbo

Okay, yes, that makes sense. So I'm facing a challenge here. I've played with SD9 Drivers for 20 years. They don't have those with nylon tips. So I'll have to change type. Bummer. Thanks for the reply, though. It will probably save me mesh heads. :)

welshsteve

You can still use those sticks, but just be sure to check then periodically for snags and chips etc..

Slamstick

A lot b of members here use nylon stick tips as mentioned , they had splinterd  wooden stick tips prior to switching. Playing e drums for almost 12 years and never had any splinters. What I don't like about nylon tips on metal cymb as ls is they are much outer or maybe if not louder the plastic click on met a l irritates me to no end. So I use wood

welshsteve

Yeah, like most things that are "better" there's always a downside. Nylon downside is they make a more metallic sound on a metal cymbal than a wooden. Just like how it does on an acoustic cymbal.

If you have had 12 years playing on an ekit with wooden tips without issue, that's good. I however (and many like me) have used wooden tips, not spotted the split on the tip and carried on bashing away on a gig only to only notice the split after a few snags on mesh heads were spotted.

Other factors will include playing style, if your're a hard hitter, this will make splinters on the tip more likely.
Also, it's good practice to have a top quality brand of stick.

So in short, carry on with wood for sure, just be mindful to check the tips often.

Wilbo

Okay, thanks for the feedback. Normally I don't have any splinters. I play with a VH11 hi-hat and Alesis Surge cymbals. But now that I'm thinking of changing to Jobeky or Diamond I'm hesitant because of splintering. It's a shame that Jobeky and Diamond don't make cymbals without holes anymore. There is of course Field, but they'r way more expensive.

kenjwright

Quote from: Wilbo on November 26, 2021, 12:24:36 PM
It's a shame that Jobeky and Diamond don't make cymbals without holes anymore.

Another option to consider  is Laurin (https://www.laurindrums.com).

Cheers!

Ken
Ludwig Acoustics, Paiste Cymbals, Drum Brothers Djun Djuns, ddrum3, ddrum4, 2BOX DrumIt Five, Pintech Cymbals, MegaDrum56, eDRUMin-4

Wilbo