News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Yet another 2box hihat calibration challenge

Started by ynor, February 16, 2022, 05:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynor

I have just bought a DrumIt 5 mk II module and a 2box hihat. The hihat has just one stereo cable connected to the first hihat input on the module.

I have calibrated it according to the manual and several youtube videos. It works, but when I close the pedal and open it just slightly every hit sounds like a loud choked chick. When I open it just a little bit more it sounds natural. I can not dial this out. Would appreciate some advice on how to eliminate the loud chick sound when hitting and opening the hihat just slightly. There is no smooth transition from closed to half open.

Does this hihat differensiate between edge and bow? It sounds much the same as in a one zone cymbal in my ears.

If the problem is in a poorly designed hi hat, would a Jobeky real feel hi hat with compatible controller work better?

ynor

I think I see what the problem is: Hitting when nearly closed the controller wobbles due to the vibrations of the cymbal and senses this as a chick, hence uncontrolled chicks are triggered. Will the Jobeky hi hat work better?

welshsteve

When you say 2box Hihat, do you mean like the ones that come with the Speedlight kit or the original 12" hihat from the original Drumit5 kit?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

welshsteve

Ah right.. yeah, that's made by Medelli, though the mechanism might be the old 2box system using a hall sensor. But you see the cymbal part on other kits. It's got a lovely playing surface, kinda like the ATV. However, the bummer is that it's single zone. So no edge trigger, so yeah I would definitely look to change out the hihat cymbal and controller, if not just for getting a better playing experience but to also get bow zones.

welshsteve

You could keep that cymbal part and just use it as 2nd crash or something, so it could come to some use. You could pick up a second hand VH11 which would be a major improvement.

To answer your question, any of the Jobeky cymbals would be a massive improvement!