News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Aggressive X-TRG with side-mounted triggers

Started by halftime, October 16, 2021, 06:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

halftime

I've been having a bit of an issue with cross-talk between head and rim. Basically, I have to use the X-TRG setting on all my snare and tom pads to prevent rim sound triggering when playing the head. This is not a problem with my tom pads which have center-mounted triggers, but on the snare some of the hits on the head get cancelled because the X-TRG function seems to think that they are cross-talk from a rim hit. The same thing happens both with a Roland PDX-12 and my recent DIY conversion which is a 14" snare with a Stealth ISM6 side-mounted trigger set. I've been experimenting with trigger settings and head tension but haven't been able to find a good balance. I can live with it if I'm very careful to always hit the exact center of the snare, but it is a bit annoying. It seems like the X-TRG algorithm is designed for center-mounted triggers. Has anybody else experienced this?

Mandubien

I've just upgraded my Pearl E-Pro Live with centred trigger for the snare and side triggers for the toms (both types are Jobeky triggers). I have no issues at all with the cross-talk. One thing you can try is to turn up the threshold setting so the rim trigger will be less sensitive to any normal hits. I use the rim on the snare to get a cross-stick sound and on the toms to add cymbals. I don't need them to be super sensitive so it's ok for me.

If needed I can show you my settings.

halftime

Quote from: Mandubien on October 16, 2021, 08:39:18 AM
I've just upgraded my Pearl E-Pro Live with centred trigger for the snare and side triggers for the toms (both types are Jobeky triggers). I have no issues at all with the cross-talk. One thing you can try is to turn up the threshold setting so the rim trigger will be less sensitive to any normal hits. I use the rim on the snare to get a cross-stick sound and on the toms to add cymbals. I don't need them to be super sensitive so it's ok for me.

Unfortunately, raising the threshold doesn't help. Even if the threshold on the rim is so high that the cross-stick is practically unplayable, hits on the head are still getting cancelled.

I'm beginning to believe that there is a curse upon my unit because I have all these issues that others have never experienced...