News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

GoEdrum Hi Hat controller setup help please

Started by Dobly, October 10, 2021, 01:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobly

I made a new .dsdn instrument with a range of wav files that say the numbers 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 , 12 and 14.

Then used that to test the open positions on my controller. No wonder it sounds like closed or open with nothing in between.. How to I calibrate this?

https://youtu.be/oa0dAVpo20Q

ANGR77

Hi!

• Does your go Edrum hihat work with the 2box standard factory sounds?
  • Which tool did you use to create the hihat sound from your waves

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Dobly

I put a mic at the other end of the room and stood at the far end and said "Two", Then stepped closer and said "Four" the kept going till I said "Fourteen" right next to the mic.

So now i had a range of wavs at different levels.

I used DSound manager to turn then into a hi hat

The dsdn I used is here.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KWNuX-QIJZWC41m5gg6vsLkyOBE84C9b?usp=sharing

It's easier to tell what is going on with a file like this.

I have turned the thing on the back with a screwdriver. I tried several values..

I would like it such that as soon as I lift the controller at tiny bit, it goes to 4, then 6 etc... Most of the travel should be 14. But the range of lower numbers is squished at the bottom too much

ANGR77

Hi!

I was looking on your created dsnd file - but to really understand how it should be arranged...I open a old hi-hat sound like the "Swiss SE 14 HiHat"...you will see that to be able to get the sound going from closed to open, using the pedal, the sounds needs be imported and arranged to the same "Zone". The Swiss Hh has about 80 layers per hit...going from closed to open in the same Zone. 

You have only one layer in each hit zone...so if you restart your project - you need to import the samples to the same zone. Then I think the layers need to be a bit different in velocity to be able to handle it right. Check the Swiss hh example in DSound Manager.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Dobly

With all due respect Anders that is not my problem

Swiss SE 14 has 80 sounds on each layer. I have one sound on each layer.

My problem is i don't hear the layers. It goes from the closed layer to the open one without stopping at the 1 or 80 sounds at the in between layers.

ANGR77

:)

So you say that not even when selecting the Swiss hihat sound...gives you any of the variations between the fully closed to fully open sound?

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com

Dobly

Exactly.. I get the closed sound then the open sound.. If i am very slow can careful I can get the other sounds and that is the issue. The layers are too squashed together from the controller. Might be a problem with the controller, or there might be a setting for it in the module. i don't know.

ANGR77

Check one thing first...on the hihat sound looking on the ENV page in kit mode...Is the parameter "Layer" set to "VAR"? It sounds like it could accidently have been set to "Fix" or "Top"...

Second - what kind of values do you get when you are calibrating the hihat?
HCAL page in unit mode...
RAW? (What is the related raw value on closed and open hi-hat?)
POFF?
PFACT?
HTYP?

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Dobly

Layer is set to Var

Cablibation is 968 to 823

Htyp - Def
Pfact - 54
Poff   - 26320

I hope this helps..

Thanks Anders

ANGR77

Hi!

I am afraid that it looks quite ok. I would have expected a higher pfact value - (around 100) and maybe a bit lower raw value when the hi-hat is in the open position. You could trim the raw value on the potentiometer on the rear when it is open to be around 850. The gap between high/low is around 140 - and that is also an ok value.  Looks ok. You could try to set the pedal curve to neg 2 and see if this would impact. If you look on the raw value indicator on screen while changing the pedal...is it moving between open closed extremely fast...of is it possible to make the raw value to stop in the middle?

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com

Dobly

I tried all of the above Anders...

No, I cannot get the raw value to stop in the middle of the range if I move the pedal quickly.

I started with an open raw value of 850, tried 750, 650, 550.. None of these made any difference.

I tried Neg 2, tried all the other options too. Nothing changed it.

The issue is that moving the controller from closed to open, for the first 3rd of the movement up, the module does not register the change.

I could fix this by putting a block under my Hi Hat pedal so it does not go down so far.. But to I really need to do that for a D3 module?

Maybe this is a fault my controller.. Let me of any recommended brands of then and I'll get another.

ANGR77

Hmm.

Maybe You should measure this hihat controller with a voltage/resistor meter and see if you get a good range between closed to open hihat pedal and see if you can stop it in the middle. A Vh11 from Roland will give the following values; VH-11 20.6 Kohm .008 Kohm (xtra tight) 5 kohm (normal)

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com

welshsteve

Have you tried another HH controller? I had a Goedrum HH controller and had to bin it after a year. I wasn't getting the same issue as you, closed/open and little to nothing in between, but I was getting closed/med open sporadically without changing my foot position. A new HH controller later, no issue. While they are very popular and well priced, I don't think they're robust to last a long usage.

Just an idea.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!