News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Connecting to Laptop via MIDI - not receiving MIDI signal in DAW

Started by danedrums, September 19, 2021, 09:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danedrums

Hi folks,

I've owned the Drumit 5 Mk1 for many years but have only just tried to connect it to my Laptop via MIDI to USB cable in an attempt to record MIDI drums.

I'm trying to keep costs down at this moment so ensure I can get everything working. I'm currently using Reaper and SSD5 (Free version). Reaper seems to know that a MIDI device is connected via USB so I've made sure that's enabled and I've set up a MIDI VST track with SSD5 within Reaper. I'm getting drum sounds when I click on the drum images within SSD5 but I can't seem to get it to detect the 2box kit. I've even tried using the 'quick learn' feature but it doesn't seem to detect my hits.

1. Is there anything I need to do on the 2box module itself?
2. Are there any other free DAWs and Drum programming VST's that any of you personally use with no issues. The more time I'm spending doing this is making me want to forget the idea altogether.
3. I'm using a fairly cheap cable from Ebay but it was brand new. Could this be the problem?

Thanks for reading this. Any advice would be appreciated.

welshsteve

2 things. Reaper needs to be sending out midi to the drumit5 as well as receiving it. So you'll need two connections (or two swap the in to the out on the module each time)

Are the midi channels lines up. Defaults is channel 10 or set the module to Omni so it'll respond to all midi channels. And also, midi note mapping needs to be right.

Have you selected 2box mapping in Ssd5?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

danedrums

Hi Welsh Steve, I'm in Wales too! Thanks for the reply!

I've since borrowed an alternative MIDI/USB cable from a friend and now it works so it seems like the original cable was the issue. HOWEVER, SSD doesn't seem to have a preset for 2BOX unless you know of one I can download from somewhere? I've tried to map it myself using MIDI Learn and it seems good for the most part but I'm still struggling with the Hi Hats, it seems to be a bit random and in it's current setting is practically unusable.