News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Interview with Clavia Nord founder Hans Nordelius

Started by kenjwright, August 15, 2021, 06:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenjwright

Stumbled on this bit of trivia from an archived interview with Hans Nordelius from Clavia (translated from German, no date). If you've ever wondered; "why was ddrum sold off?", this seems to  explain it...

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.keyboards.de/stories/interview-mit-clavia-nord-gruender-und-inhaber-hans-nordelius/&prev=search&pto=aue

"Yes, the ddrums were actually just a transitional phase for me. To be honest, I don't particularly like electronic drum sounds, and I did that even with our own. Somehow something like that always sounds synthetic despite good samples. I started to focus on the keyboard business, the ddrums started to get bored of me and gradually disappeared completely from my head. It was good to slowly let this project fade out."

Cheers!

Ken
Ludwig Acoustics, Paiste Cymbals, Drum Brothers Djun Djuns, ddrum3, ddrum4, 2BOX DrumIt Five, Pintech Cymbals, MegaDrum56, eDRUMin-4

Deve Loper

Hi Ken!
Yep, I was actually doing ddrum5 embryo when Hans came in one day and asked, if we can do sampled drums then we can do sampled pianos, same type of percussive decaying sounds.
So I used the basic same hw with nor flash memory and that became the first nord electro.
Big credit to Björn for doing the organ part.
Cheers!

kenjwright

The Nord stuff is awesome for sure! (fun fact that you had a hand in it!) And we can only image what that ddrum5 would have been  :)
Ludwig Acoustics, Paiste Cymbals, Drum Brothers Djun Djuns, ddrum3, ddrum4, 2BOX DrumIt Five, Pintech Cymbals, MegaDrum56, eDRUMin-4

Deve Loper

ddrum5 -> DrumIt5 !
Allthough not with freescale 68k host processor, 56k dsp and (limited size) nor flash.
Instead ARM9 and nand flash on sd card.
Originally just 1 GB, which was waaay more than anything out there (incl nord electro),
but then at release 4 GB. Still a lot today considering e.g Gewa G9/5 has "only" 2 GB for user samples.

ANGR77

Fun stories Deve...and you seems to have influenced to the Nord stuff....I know we once talked about the solution picking layers to not make the system to machine gun...a function which was the same in DrumIt as in Nord.

It is easier logistics selling keyboards than drums....according to Hans...:-)

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com