News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Help with best module for Hi Hat and ride.

Started by photobeat, July 28, 2021, 06:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

photobeat

I have the drummit 5 V 1 and even the jayman box and am not happy with the HH. Should I get the zourman box for the HH and ride or just get a new module? AND is that new module as good as the Roland HH. I could just get any module for cymbals and keep the V1 for drums and mix. Lets pretend price is no object what would you do  for the best HH and ride? (aside from TD50 running cymbals thats a bit too high)

thanks

welshsteve

I can't say which is better, as I would need to test side by side. But a friend has the Zumman box with the Di5 mk1 module, Jobeky brass hats with goedrum controller and it works great.
But if it was me, I'd probably go with the Mk2 as it opens other triggering possibilities. Yamaha 3 zone pad/cymbal triggering for example.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

halftime

The hi-hat on my DrumIt 3 doesn't feel quite as smooth as on my old TD-12 and I've read similar comments from others as well, so I doubt that changing the conversion box makes a huge difference. Hi-hat triggering isn't one of 2Box's strong points.

Roland is quite widely considered to be the best in hi-hat triggering. There's also the option of EDrumIn + VST, but at that point you might as well get rid of the 2Box entirely and just use the VST.

photobeat

Quote from: halftime on July 28, 2021, 07:56:27 PM
The hi-hat on my DrumIt 3 doesn't feel quite as smooth as on my old TD-12 and I've read similar comments from others as well, so I doubt that changing the conversion box makes a huge difference. Hi-hat triggering isn't one of 2Box's strong points.

Roland is quite widely considered to be the best in hi-hat triggering. There's also the option of EDrumIn + VST, but at that point you might as well get rid of the 2Box entirely and just use the VST.

Thanks this is helpful.  I assume the 5 ver II has the same hh engine. If you heard about the mods from zourman let me know.

ANGR77

Maybe it is time for a A and B test video comparing the native hh support on MKII for Roland VH-11 vs Zourman FD-8/ VH-11 conversion module with the same equipment. :-)

I have for natural causes not been focusing on this - my focus have always been helping users on the MKI module which don't have any choices regarding support for roland hihat's at all.

But, i know I get happy when I connect my conversation module to my MKII or Three modules...but there is no truth or science behind this - just a feeling...which could be very wrong.

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Karbonfaiba

I seriously doubt it will make any difference because the problem is not the hardware related.

This isn't to say increasing the precision, reducing the tolerances or increasing the sensor resolution (or polling rate) of the hihat controller won't help make the experience better - yes that does help.

But none of this will give our 2box module the ability to make separate chick and splash samples, nor play a long chick sample, nor will it enable transmuting. Which is the technology that plays all openness levels simultaneously and crossfades between those levels as you move the pedal.

Using an eDrumin may be more beneficial for calibration. I can even think of a trick to borrow a zone and divert a MIDI note - but it's an ugly solution.

ANGR77

I do agree on this, Karbonfaiba - that more advanced hh functionality is not in the "box" like transmuting etc regardless what we do out side the box. So then we are probably back to VST + eDrumin...to get the best hh functionality.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

photobeat

Seems like the roland for cymbals and 2 box for drums is the way to go, the pearl mimic seems to be another possible optional as well. I wish I could play them all.