News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Anyone played BOTH Drumit and eDrumIn?

Started by Schmidi, April 18, 2021, 02:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schmidi

So I'm at a crossroads: I just got an eDrumIn 4 and it destroys my old TD6V in terms of trigger sensitivity and dynamics when playing VSTs. (It's shocking how much more nuance there is )

I'm wondering if a 2box Drumit 3/5 is in a similar ballpark in terms of triggering sensitivity and dynamics to the eDrumIn? (I'm aware that eDrumIn is just a trigger interface, and Drumit can operate standalone).

At this point I either get 2-3 more eDrumIn + a used RME card, or a Drumit 3.

Karbonfaiba

I've come from Megadrum to 2box so this may help:

What good triggering means... really needs to be expanded when considering VST vs 2box.

I find the triggering in 2box overall to be better than Megadrum and more consistent, kicks especially, but worse in respect to the losing advanced features. Both systems can be made to be as sensitive, that isn't an issue.

If you want to make some compromises, then 2box allows you to build a perfect drum module that competently covers all the basics with the VST experience 80% intact.

You will have to sacrifice the advanced features you would otherwise take for granted; better hihat playability, positional sensing, 3 zone snares. Do these modern features make the eDrumin / VST experience for you? Then you should expand in the VST direction and put modules aside for another few years.

I think for 2box to be worth abandoning VST triggering, you really need to go all in. Convert the kits you want from all VSTs (especially the ones that suck to trigger) using SDSE so it's worth investing the time and effort. Otherwise stick to playing SD3 through eDrumin.

You predominantly need to feel like leaving VST triggering for a simpler experience on 2box. That will help make deciding easier.  ;)

gabo2

I agree with Karbonfaiba, and that was a great answer.

To me, the value of the 2box is to get the best of triggering without the hassles and issues with a computer, latency, and VSTs.

What is triggering? You use your module and pads to trigger sounds from a computer.

What is 2box? You take the sounds from your computer and install them onto the 2box module and use that.

Sure you can trigger the sounds with the 2box, but that seems to miss the point.

That being said, the latency and performance of the 2box module is very good, so using it to trigger works well. Better than the edrumin? I don't know as I've never used one. But I have used a ddrum4, which is possibly the gold standard for triggering. The 2box is just a tad below the ddrum4, but not really enough to notice in my opinion.

gabo

edcito

Why not combine both? drumit 3 and edrumin 4 via midi for hihat and snare?