News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DI 5mk2 hangup problem

Started by HansT, June 16, 2021, 12:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HansT

Hi. Im running the lastest OS on my Drumit five mk2 and have an issue with audio hangups suddenly occurring while playing my drums. This sounds like a processingproblem (?)...lagging and clipping. This issue occours when I play my own samples recorded from VST instruments (44,1K, 24bit, and sampleseries was normalized so that the softest sound is very low in volume, and hardest strike ends up just under 0 db) My recorded sound has up tp 20 layers and the soundcard was set to 44,1k while recording and making the dsns files in the editor. Ive tried to lower the volume of the samples and made a few new dsnb files. Same problem Factory sounds are still working as normal. Anyone have a clue about whats causing this problem?

halftime

Sounds like the infamous latency problem with VST samples that has been discussed here in several threads. I recommend checking Lustar's SDSE FAQ and the section "2box DrumIt: How can I solve latency issues when playing bigger kits from BFD3 or SD3?" which contains a good summary of what we know so far. I haven't been able to get rid of the glitching entirely, but the listed tweaks should at least improve the situation.

HansT

Hi, thanks for your reply. This is not a general latency issue. The kit works well with no latency in my module, until it suddenly hangs up for a second (disturbing my performance). This is allmost like when switching samplingfrequency (masterclock) to 48k from 44,1kk and back in the midle of a song, or like switching to another drumkit while playing, and therefore have a short lag for a few seconds. My samples were recorded at 44,1k and carefully cut with starting and endingpoint. I use the original SD card and thinking ut maybe a SD-card problem? I will check out Lustark. Thanks.

Karbonfaiba

The 2box editor supports opening 44.1k 24bit but the 2box module does not. It saves it as 44.1k 16bit. However I don't think this is the cause of the problem here.

Correct, it's not latency, it's a memory access log jam, so yes it could be a memory card problem with your sample in particular (the technical reason why 2box dislikes certain WAVs is still a mystery)

I would try the following to resolve the issue:

1) Set 10 decay for all instruments
2) Change the hihat and ride on that kit to try isolate the culprit dsnd.
3) Save your dsnds with max tuning 4 (reduces the size)
4) Buy a new A1 MicroSD card

edcito

I recorded what I hear when hitting 2 toms and kick at the same time, from SD3 Rock foundry exported with SDSE, I'm not even using hihat or ride, only kick and toms. First part is the kick voice set to poly, you can hear the glitches, from 34 seconds I changed the kick voice to MONO and the glitch is 98% gone, XTALK is off for all pads. Decay set to infinity. So changing kick voice to MONO is for me the best approach.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apbbfhss1Va_hNQV2TByZx74mWWahQ?e=SbarrU

HansT

I was not aware that the module could not handle 24 bit audio (hope 2BOX company talkes notice?!) But anyway. I Converted my samples from 24 bit to 16 bit wav files, and made new SDSE files. The put them on the Sd card. Set the decay to 10 ( I'm using only acoustic cymbales by the way). Still some distubing sounds after a while when using my own samples, but no problem with factory sounds. I bought the DI5 mk2 module one month ago with the original Sd card that came with it. Strange, But it seems like a SDSE file -problem? But it could also be a card problem (affecting only my own sounds?) Any recomendations for a specific Sd card that work best with the module?  Is it better to buy a 16 GB card instead of 32 GB?

HansT

Edcito, sounds like the same issue, only a bit worse in your case  ;)
I will try to set the kick to mono. thanks.

edcito

Quote from: HansT on June 19, 2021, 02:11:57 PM
Edcito, sounds like the same issue, only a bit worse in your case  ;)
I will try to set the kick to mono. thanks.
it's interesting you are not using the cymbals, that leaves the question open for the kick and toms... by the way, this glitch started happening to me apart from the previous latency/hiccups issue when using a full SD3 kit with all kit pieces, also I'm using a brand new drumit 3 with the stock card and without the SD card extension mod so I can rule out is an issue with the extender. The only thing I noticed is that the module may be from the first batch since it came with OS 1.32.4, so a bad stock SD card cannot be ruled out.

edcito

I just imported a kit from Steven Slate drums 5.5, the kick and toms of the "Cut Ya" kit, the result is the same, terminator sounds when playing 2 toms and kick at the same time... so this happening with richly detailed sampled libraries like SD3 only can be ruled out...

halftime

I got access to Kontakt Studio Drummer and tested an export with it. Same results as with SD2 - max tune +4, decay 10 on all samples + kick voice to Mono and then it's quite ok, just small glitches here and there. It seems quite consistent with different VSTs.

HansT

In theory it shouldn't make any difference which VST you import from, since it all end up as wav files comverted to dsnd files.

I have just ordered a New SDHC card (A1). Hope this will do.

edcito

It would be interesting if someone who still has the first drumit 5 and the 2box pads to check this sounds and hear what happens

Ficamali

Hi everyone! My first comment here on the forum. I just bought an used drumit 5 mk2, and I have the same problem only with the factory sounds on the module. I was thinking it must be my cheap cables that I bought, but now seeing this thread I don't know what to think. Same glitch, I listened to the sample that one of you left here. Literally the same, though I'm not using VST samples. What can I do...?

I'm using Roland SPD 128/105 pads and Millenium mps 850 cymbals. At one point I was thinking it might be the problem with power since my hi hat controller is powered through a dedicated charger. Do you think this may get in the way of the module's usual way of functioning...?

Thanks.

Karbonfaiba

I've not got this type of audio corruption when hitting 4 triggers at the same time, but I can only suspect it's the memory card.

Take your memory card out and examine it.

Is it a generic "microSD" adapter with yellow tape over the end? Contact 2box support and get it replaced in the post.

It could also be data corruption on the SD card, in which case you should download DI5MK2-Content Folder 1 & 2 from https://2box-drums.com/support

Then download this tool: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter to format the card and copy the contents back on it. You must use this tool with any 32GB card otherwise 2box will not boot.

halftime

Memory card would be my first guess as well, I had the same issues with the original card of my DrumIt 3 with the factory samples. After replacing the original card, I haven't had any issues with 2Box's samples, only VST exports.