News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Unnaturally long sustain cymbals

Started by Wilbo, June 10, 2021, 11:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilbo

Last week I recorded a demo with my band. I recorded analog via the six (+ 2) out channels of my Drumit5 (MKI)module. For recording we used a Behringer X32 monitor mixer. When mixing the songs we noticed an unnaturally long sustain of the cymbals. The problem occurred with al the cymbal sounds (the normal ones, not the special effect cymbals). While playing on the module using the headphone everything sounded normal (a natural sustain, just like an acoustic cymbal). What could be the problem here? Is it the cymbals? (I use Alesis Surge, probably a bit outdated) Or could it be the way I routed the cymbals? I routed all of them through one out channel instead of stereo, to create room to record every tom seperately. Or could it be something else?

Wilbo

PS I tried to use a shorter decay, but that sounded even more unnatural.

welshsteve

Has the engineer added heavy compression to the kit as a whole or even the cymbal channels?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Wilbo

No, no compression yet. This was just by hearing the rough cuts.  But he could already tell that the cymbals are going to create a problem during the mixing process.

welshsteve

I cannot comment with absolute surety unless I heard the recording. But I have recorded many many times with the drumit5 using various cymbals from the 2box library and I never ever though the cymbals had too much decay. They are after all, samples of real cymbals in a decent studio recorded professionally.

Wilbo

Mystery solved. The enigieer does seem to have made a mistake with too much compression. Thanks for the replies.

welshsteve

Glad you got that sorted. Personally, I am questioning his skill as a engineer myself!