Author Topic: Review: Loopmasters Real Drums Vol.1 - Vintage Oyster Pearl  (Read 582 times)

Krillo

• View Profile
Review: Loopmasters Real Drums Vol.1 - Vintage Oyster Pearl
« on: March 20, 2021, 11:19:40 AM »
I just purchased this sample pack from Loopmasters with the hope of getting some good Gretsch tom sounds.
https://www.loopmasters.com/genres/26-Jazz/products/2066-Real-Drums-Vol-1-Vintage-Oyster-Pearl

I am quite disappointed and filed a ticket with them. I feel the sample pack does not deliver what their website promises.
Many of the tom hits have the attack cut off. Mixed in with regular hits are rimshot on all toms, including the floortom  :o
There is no info in the filenames to let you know what is what in terms of that.
The lower velocity hits are very noisy despite the fancy mics and preamps they tout on the site.
The harder hits are (as so very often) compressed.
The second tom has only 13 usable layers, and the number of layers are different with every tom.

It's a shame because the actual drum tones are quite nice.

Deve Loper

• View Profile
Re: Review: Loopmasters Real Drums Vol.1 - Vintage Oyster Pearl
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 10:07:47 AM »
Hi Krillo.

Seems strange they didnt edit it better.
So no way to build a decent set?

Best,
Deve.

Krillo

• View Profile
Re: Review: Loopmasters Real Drums Vol.1 - Vintage Oyster Pearl
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 01:02:27 PM »
Hi Krillo.

Seems strange they didnt edit it better.
So no way to build a decent set?

Best,
Deve.

I've purchased samples from Voxengo, Drum Werks and now Loopmasters. I guess their aim is not e-drummers but producers. I often find that there arent't enough layers to fill up my dd3 with 16 samples per pad, which I think would be a minimum by todays standards. Also, many don't have an even amount of hits through soft to hard hits. Both Drum Werks and some of the 2box samples suffer from the hardest layers being ridiculously hard hits.

Personally I prefer very raw sounding samples, so that you have something to work with in mixdown. If samples are already compressed and EQ'd too much, you become very limited, and also the velocities get messed up, since the modules and software use peak levels for arranging files.