News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

5 different size toms. 4 imputs

Started by Slamstick, February 27, 2021, 08:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slamstick

Hi Peeps. I am triggering a new kit that I bought that has 8, 10,  12 rack toms and 13, and 14 floor toms. So five toms and we have on the new Drumit5 Mk2 4 tom imputs. Anyway to trigger the toms to have all different sounds or would I have to use a splitter and have 2 toms with the same sounds? I know I could buy a Roland Tm2 and get more sounds out of it?

ANGR77

Hi!

You have 4 dual toms input on the DrumIts. (Head and rim) In this case you could split the Tom 4 input into two toms. (You will only get the head trigger on these toms without rims) Then all together you will get 5 toms with different sounds)

You could also split one of the cymbal inputs to do something similar.

Using a tm2 could also work to get the fifth tom - but going through midi to DrumIt will not permit more toms sounds as output. The sound engine in the drumits will only handle max 4 tom sounds. If you use the sound engine in tm2 - you will add a fifth tom...but it is not connected to the DrumIt at all.

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Slamstick

Thanks Anders again for your help! Lifesaver foe a tech chalkwnged old dude like me

BadgerOfTruth

So I am now confused :-\ Anders.... Are you saying that with a maximum of 4 internal Drumit tom sounds allocated to pad trigger inputs, you cannot trigger more internal tom sounds via (say) MIDI? Why would that be disallowed?

Thanks!
Greetings from the Badger Of Truth...

Sent from a manifestation of Steve Jobs' vision!

ANGR77

Hi!

The internal sound engine can only handle the amount of trigger inputs. Example...You have 1 zone kick, 3 zone snare, 2 zone hihat, 3x 3 zone cymbals, 4x 2 zone toms...all together...23 simultaneously sounds. (But with some limitations on cymbals, toms and snare which are tied to the actual dsnd file)

So the sound engine can not handle any extra sounds over midi. Only the assigned sounds can be addressed over midi. So an extra tom pad triggered via midi...can only use internal tom sound 1-4...

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

BadgerOfTruth

Thanks for this Anders,

This is very disappointing news! I wanted to use the full number of trigger inputs and then use an additional trigger to midi device (e.g. DDrum DDTI Trigger Interface giving up to 10 extra twin triggers - https://www.thomann.de/gb/ddrum_ddti_trigger_interface.htm ) to add more pads and and cymbals etc... So correct me if I am wrong but you are saying that I will not be able to use the DDrum trigger interface to add more inputs to the 2Box Drumit and access its stored sounds?  :(

If this is the case, is there anyway around this?

Many thanks for your help!

Karbonfaiba

Buy two 2box modules BadgerOfTruth?  8)

MIDI is a different beast compared to sound channels (or instrument slots)

It's little work for a CPU to process MIDI signals, you can have 56 MIDI slots running off a single ARM chip on Megadrum like it's nothing.

Loading stereo sound channels is different. It requires more CPU, loads of memory, A-to-D convertors, a low latency platform / bus to push through huge amounts of data.

Think about how large an uncompressed WAV file is compared to a MIDI note line on a txt file, it will make sense. Those wavs need to keep playing while others are triggered on top as well!

Even Roland dropped pad patterns for the TD-50 because the modules are at their limits even with the few inputs they allow. Roland's samples are tiny compared to what 2box allows. It's rather impressive tech in 2box all things considered.  ;D

Hope that helps explain things!

BadgerOfTruth

Many thanks Anders... I now understand even though the result is disappointing! So yes, to get my project completed it may require me getting two 2Box brains.... I think you have just doubled my required budget! :-[