News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

MIDI Choke for Cymbals

Started by tsss27, February 09, 2021, 04:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsss27

I am  using an external MIDI controller to play the 2Box, and it works well except the cymbal chokes don't behave correctly. If I hit a note assigned to a choke, it just lowers the volume of the cymbal so in order to choke it you have to hit it many times and of course that does not sound right. Is this normal or something weird with the way my controller is set up?

Deve Loper

Hi. Well, this is as it should be. For the original DrumIt version (upto 1.22), I made a choke which resembles a real choke.
Just pinching a real cymbal a short time does not choke it all the way.
But hold it longer and it dies out.
So on DrumIt, start of pinch is note on (on zone9), end of pinch, note off. The longer time, the more energy is dissipated, the lower the volume.
In your case, can you set the controller to have a longer time between note on and off for each hit?
For regular DrumIt trigger the note off is ignored, so you can set it longer for all notes on your controller.
Anyway, I will make a setting for it in the future...
Best, Deve

Broadpath

I have similar desires for solutions providing note-off cymbal choke, hi-hat closed/open and related mute group capabilities (i.e. percussion hits and mutes). I use a Zendrum and other MIDI controllers, and while I love the 2Box samples and core philosophy, I end up sourcing the affected items across different modules. I know there are other pathways to this end but would like to see this implemented into the unit's core feature set as it is in other modules, especially software. I understand why manufacturers would want to design around their pads, but there is a significant slice of the market that is controller oriented. It would be great to offer this flexibility for an otherwise outstanding product.

Thanks for considering!

tsss27

Quote from: Broadpath on April 30, 2021, 11:04:27 AM
I have similar desires for solutions providing note-off cymbal choke, hi-hat closed/open and related mute group capabilities (i.e. percussion hits and mutes). I use a Zendrum and other MIDI controllers, and while I love the 2Box samples and core philosophy, I end up sourcing the affected items across different modules. I know there are other pathways to this end but would like to see this implemented into the unit's core feature set as it is in other modules, especially software. I understand why manufacturers would want to design around their pads, but there is a significant slice of the market that is controller oriented. It would be great to offer this flexibility for an otherwise outstanding product.

Thanks for considering!

Nice to see I am not the only one wanting this functionality. In fact I was also testing this with a Zendrum. For the hi-hat, your best bet is to hook up a dedicated hi-hat pedal to the input on the module; unless you have found a workaround, the Zendrum will not behave correctly if you use an expression pedal or similar to morph from closed to open with the correct CC number assigned (1 or 4.) Someone found a device to extend the note-off messages to make cymbal chokes work, but I forget what it was...something from MIDI Solutions I think. In fact MIDI Solutions products are your best bet in general if you want to adjust things like this as they are extremely flexible.