News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Next shipment!!

Started by Scottie, August 04, 2009, 10:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p929

I agree with Baby Samus.

This is gonna be my very first E-drum. Since 1 year ago I was thinking about it. Of course the first things you see around are Roland and Yamaha, I gotta be honest I didn't know well the difference between CMOS and sampling. I mean I knew CMOS is modeled and sampling tends to be more realistic, I just start watching vid's and reading at forums. I was about to buy a TD9 when in vdrums.com I saw sth like "...check out for 2box, that's the future of e-drumming..", so I decided start looking around. I wasn't expecting this to be a new product, I thought there were a lot of kits on the stores to try it out...but oh surprise, it's new and not so much info (compared with Roland and Yamaha).

Anyway, I decided to order it 'blindly'. There are a lot of things I still ignore about it (for instance, I still don't knowing how load is its acoustic noise, if somebody can tell me  or post a video...I'll do appreciate it); However, I consider those things natural in ANY thing we buy, there's not perfect device, gadget etc. (IMO). Everyday I'm more convinced that pre-ordering it was a right decision as well as I like those 'challenges' that spice up your life... (like my linux..., BTW is there any midi-recording software for linux??)

Nonetheless, we gotta accept that some people are just that happy testing before buying..

UC

Hi there - check out http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/ - I haven't played with it for a long time - it looks like it's come a long way since then....Also you might want to check out http://ubuntustudio.org/ (which bundles rosegarden in along with a bunch of other stuff).

HM

Quote from: Baby Samus on February 17, 2010, 08:21:41 PM
I bought one without trying it out, and I'm very happy. 

And I wouldn't buy any musical instrument that costs this much without giving trying it first. Luckily there was one pre-release kit I could test. I compared it to TD-9 which had the same price and decided to get the 2-box.

Baby Samus

Quote from: HM on February 17, 2010, 10:51:45 PM
And I wouldn't buy any musical instrument that costs this much without giving trying it first. Luckily there was one pre-release kit I could test. I compared it to TD-9 which had the same price and decided to get the 2-box.

Plenty people buy instruments before trying them if they know enough about them.  My brother paid around £3500 for a Korg Oasys synth, and he'd never tried one.  But he knew how good it was already, because he knows a lot about keyboards.  Same with the 2Box - it sounded amazing in the videos, it was an open system with plenty memory, comes with all hardware, pads and modules, I loved the look and the DDRUM 4 guys made it so it had to be good  8).  But hey, I like taking a chance - not everyone does so fair enough.

If you feel the need to play it before buying it, then I understand, but I also encourage people to just go for it too, because its a great set.

Another reason for my 'blind' purchase was I wanted to support a new company that is trying to give the end user (you and me) a great product for a good price, which is also an open system.  Compare that to Roland for example, who are still hawking around the same technology they've always had for hugely inflated prices for something you can't even update or add samples to - its night and day.  But Roland count on people buying into the brand becuase its a strong brand.  You think of e-drums, you think Roland.  They're safe.  In reality though, their COSM technology is stagnant, their kits are over priced, and they seem unwilling to open their systems to the end user to maximise profit and brand loyalty.

I suppose in my mind, I hope that if I show support by buying a new product from a creative group of people who are trying to do something good for us and not just to make money (of course 2Box wants to make money too  ;)), then we will be exploited less by big companies like Roland and have more competition in the market, forcing other companies to inovate and improve their prices and products.

hwasser

Heard a lot of great things about the 2box lately, on the swedish music forums one deathmetal guy said it was the most responsive e-drum he have ever played! ;)

UC

Quote from: hwasser on February 18, 2010, 02:25:55 PM
Heard a lot of great things about the 2box lately, on the swedish music forums one deathmetal guy said it was the most responsive e-drum he have ever played! ;)
*trying hard to resist making a joke about the sensitivity of deathmetal drummers*
:)

hwasser

Quote from: UC on February 18, 2010, 02:39:03 PM
*trying hard to resist making a joke about the sensitivity of deathmetal drummers*
:)

Nah, they know their stuff! ;)

TimDeBim

I'm not sure whether this has already been discussed somewhere else but:

Will there be any difference/improvements concerning the hardware (or other things you cannot improve with updates) with the next shipment (such that it would be worth it to wait rather than to get one of the "old" ones now)? Or will it be exactly the same kit as one of the older ones with the most recent software updates?

Btw, I really appreciate your comments on the pre-ordering issue...

HM

Quote from: TimDeBim on February 19, 2010, 09:52:50 PM
Will there be any difference/improvements concerning the hardware (or other things you cannot improve with updates) with the next shipment (such that it would be worth it to wait rather than to get one of the "old" ones now)? Or will it be exactly the same kit as one of the older ones with the most recent software updates?

Based on the information on this forum, I think there will not be new hardware in comparision to the previous shipment. Others, please correct if I'm wrong.

Baby Samus

Quote from: HM on February 20, 2010, 06:36:46 AM
Based on the information on this forum, I think there will not be new hardware in comparision to the previous shipment. Others, please correct if I'm wrong.

I think you are right HM.  1st Shipment of kits had aluminium rims and a less robust hi-hat clamp.  2nd shipment they started using polycarbonate rims and a stronger hi-hat clamp.  Thats the only difference in hardware as I understand it.  I have the polycarbonate rims and they seem perfectly strong.  New HH clamp is good too.

The only new piece of hardware that may become available I know about is the orange cross bar for the rack, which 2Box say might make the rack a bit sturdier, but it seems this is an optional extra that you would have to pay for.  I'm happy with the rack but some on the forum have complained about its stability, so the cross bar may be useful to some.

All in all, the hardware for the 3rd shipment of kits should be exactly the same as the 2nd shipment.  As for software, this 3rd shipment should come with O/S version 1.04 instead of the version 1.03 that shipped with the 2nd shipment , but this is not an issue since you can update via PC if it doesn't.

WalterH

Why is this taking so long, its not good that 2box is being so silent to their future customers. Also The lack of spare parts and the light quality of the kit is not good for the trust of the customers in this company. 

I'll bet they work very hard to work things out, but they have to start to communicate!
How can we get them to realize this?

UC

Hey Walter, I understand your pain man! But the fact there is so much demand for a brand new product from such a small and new company, is amazing - they are really dedicated to looking after their growing base of owners.

Show me a Roland forum where the lead software developer posts techincal specifications and asks questions about what people want to see next in the kit...Also, Scott from Hand in Hand (the UK distributor) has been working really hard to deal with customer service stuff for people all over Europe and beyond!

Believe me it's worth the wait, just hold on in there mate!

madmanmafimardi

Quote from: UC on February 20, 2010, 09:24:40 PM
Hey Walter, I understand your pain man! But the fact there is so much demand for a brand new product from such a small and new company, is amazing - they are really dedicated to looking after their growing base of owners.

Show me a Roland forum where the lead software developer posts techincal specifications and asks questions about what people want to see next in the kit...Also, Scott from Hand in Hand (the UK distributor) has been working really hard to deal with customer service stuff for people all over Europe and beyond!

Believe me it's worth the wait, just hold on in there mate!

good answer i think. 2box till´I die

Dagger

:drum2: Just bought my kit last week after selling my Roland TD-12. What a difference! Now it feels like playing drums again! The response and sounds are killer and this is just the beginning..

3drum

So here we are...It's almost March and we have no word on US distribution. Is this thing ever coming to the United States?