News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Roland TD12 to 2Box Drumit 3 - worth it?

Started by burger, February 03, 2021, 05:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burger

Hi

newbie here.  I've currently got a Roland TD12 and now I'm starting to work on things like doubles, 6 stroke rolls and generally playing around with ghost notes.  The TD12 isn't sounding so good. I'm after something that sounds better and doesn't 'machine gun'.

I have gradually upgraded from a Roland TD4 to a TD9 to a TD12.  I'm thinking it's time to jump ship and everything I've read about the 2Box Drumit 3 is very positive.  My only concern is that I'm in Australia and 2Box do not have a distributor down here. 

Would you upgrade from a TD12 to the 2Box Drumit 3?

Thanks

burger

welshsteve

The two modules are quite different. While the TD12 has a lot of inputs and the same amount of outputs. It sonically is chalk and cheese to the drumit3. Not just from what's in the box, but the potential for custom sound input.

If it was a choice of the two for me, I would go with the TD12 if I was triggering (or planning to) a VST on a computer. But as a stand alone module, Drumit3 every day.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

burger

Standalone drum kit (apartment and wife means no acoustic kit  :D )

Thanks for the reply

Itsme710

If its the kits sounds your not happy with and its a stock TD12 then i recommend VEXPRESSIONS and Vdrum editor if you havnt already done so

Itsme710

As for machine gunning (an acoustic drummers syndrome) cant help there i only ever play electronic so dont really understand all the fuss  ;D

burger

Quote from: Itsme710 on February 27, 2021, 08:24:47 PM
If its the kits sounds your not happy with and its a stock TD12 then i recommend VEXPRESSIONS and Vdrum editor if you havnt already done so

It was a stock TD-12, then it wasn't when I loaded more than one set of VExpression kits.  Even with VExpression kits, the Drumit3 (with standard kits) sounds much better.

drumsonly2002

My two cents worth. I use d-3 for gigs prior to CV-19. Having the ability to load sounds is like going to a candy shop to pick and choose what I like. I was never a big fan of the TD-12 but Roland has improved with the newer modules. No offence to Roland but drummit has been ahead of many in terms of sounds and open source. I am impressed with the Roland TD 25.

I am more of a DYI hands-on type, thus I enjoy my D-3. I use Roland gear with my module.