News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Compatibility of Roland Cy15 Ride Cymbal and 2Box Drumit5 Mk2

Started by Slamstick, January 26, 2021, 11:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slamstick

Hi Folks . Is the 2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 Module and the Roland CY-15 fully compatible . The Module accomodates bell, bow, edge, and choke. Does the Roland Cy-15R and 16 R-T Ride Cymbals operate with all those functions when plugged into 2 box 5mk2 module?.

ANGR77

The Roland CY-15R works great on MKII...with all zones. Bell, bow, edge and choke. I have also tested Yamaha PCY-155 and that work great on MKII also for all zones.

I have not tested the CY-16 ... but it is a three zone ride with dual connectors...so I am supposing it will work just as good as the cy-15R.

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Karbonfaiba

Hi folks, no prizes for guessing why I'm writing here.  ;)

Is there any hidden function to further boost bell response?

I was lead to believe my CY-15R would be great on the MKII - but that just isn't the case.

I'm using zourman's recommended settings; CyPSB 13H -36. These do indeed seem to be the best settings after experimenting. 2box's calibration is incredibly simple compared to what I'm used to lol.

At the moment, I'm looking at best roughly 20dB signal reduction from the same strike strength from bow to bell. Oddly, bow/edge goes into 2A, bow/bell into 2B to have the zones correct on 2box. I have disassembled my CY-15R partially, to check the 3 ribbon connectors are in great condition.

I need the ability to make the bell response parity with bow response. Am I dealing with a broken CY-15R I that was just able to calibrate better on Megadrum?

I feel I have exhausted all the settings available (which is why I'm posting here) I need to fix this issue soon because I'm not sure what's the expected normal on 2box. It's not acceptable performance to whack the bell. Alternatively I'll be peeved if I have to buy a better cymbal since I know my CY-15R is capable of great performance on Megadrum.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

welshsteve

Did you adjust the bell gain? There's 3 settings, L (low) M (medium) and H "hard"

On the gain knob in trigger settings, you have to press the knob to toggle between these settings.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Karbonfaiba

Yes, I have it on H.

L and M effectively kill all bell response.

Before I read the manual, I intuitively thought L, M, H referred to the different gain levels for edge, bow, bell. But it's looking increasely likely I may have to bite the bullet and get a 16R-T since ATV's 18 inch ride is absolutely atrocious to buy on it's own. Just really hard to justify when I can't see anything wrong with the CY-15R I have and no way of knowing if the same wouldn't occur on something like a Mimic Pro.

Slamstick

I was waiting on the 14 and 16 CY R-T to be out next month but then I saw Lemon cymbals are compatible with Roland, 2boxDrumit 3 and Drumit 5 Mk2( my module)  and most other modules . So the new plan is to buy a 14 or 16 Lemon three zone first to try it . If its good they have an 18 inch coming out second week of March if it happens. I am in no reushbrcause I have 2 box modules, one old version( orange) triggering Jmans custom built triggers on Zildjian low volumes just for that module, and I am building a new kit with the new Drumit5 MK2 to  trigger with any one of these  Roland, Lemon, Jobeky, Pintech, Goedrum, etc!

Karbonfaiba

First I've heard of Lemon cymbals, they look like the new Triggera and very good value! I'm pleased they exist but zero suppliers in Europe is annoying. I don't want a downgraded CY-15R to be honest, I'll pay for the sequel and hope to make enough back on my used gear.

I'm not expecting 2box to fix anything here, I just wanted to know if a good triggering 3 zone performance is possible on 2box? I.e. bell triggering at the same strength as bow with stick tip only?

The rest of my triggers are pretty good except the rim performance, which is acceptable, but not DTX-Pro great. But then I've ruled that module out for 2box's sample prowess which I hope to exploit as soon as I can clear this hurdle.  :)

welshsteve

There seems something up with your cymbal, I borrowed a Cy15R off a mate for a few gigs when I was using a drumit3 and I found it excellent even though the bell zone was physically on the small side, the Triggering was fine.
Later I bought a Yamaha PCY155 which has an excellent bell response. I still have 3 of these using with a mimic.
I am not sure how the Cy15r works, whether the bell is a switch or a piezo, but from what your saying, it should be working very well with a 2box module.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!