News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Playback problem Reaper-Drumit5

Started by Wilbo, November 24, 2020, 04:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilbo

I recently  connected my Drumit5 module to my computer with a usb midi cable (usb in the computer and din in the module), because I wanted to record some tracks in Reaper. I routed the playback through the module. So far so good. But... here the trouble starts. Sometimes when I playback the recorded part it doesn't play exactly what I played. It gets notes wrong. My band would fire me if I played that way live. First I started doubting my ears, but after quantising the whole track it still gets the notes wrong. The grid in Reaper is set correctly, so that's not the issue. I bought a new midi cable and cleaned up my computer, but that didn't make any difference. So what could this be? Still my computer? The module? Any ideas?

welshsteve

So you have midi out from module, to the usb in...

But do you have a midi IN connected to the drumit5?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Wilbo

Yes, I have. Two Din plugs in the module, midi in and midi out.

welshsteve

I used to use the drumit5 like this (or similar with a midi interface, but essentially the same) and I never had any issues, it just worked right out of the box.

Could you somehow send (or link) an audio clip. Record the audio from a output of what you played, and the midi version of it if it's possible.

edtc

You can maybe turn MIDI THRU off  in the module MIDI settings ...

Wilbo

Turning off MIDI THRU seems to have helped. But the problem 's not there all the time, so it could also be coincidence. I'll just have to wait if it stays okay. Let's see what tomorrow brings. Thanks for now.

edtc

having THRU on makes a midi loop , that can cause an overflow in the midi buffer of the module , mostly when there are many notes played at the same time . This could explain the "not all the time"   ... IMO you wont have the problem any more

Wilbo

So I'm back again. Turning off MIDI THRU didn't work in the end, so that's not the problem. The thing is is, the first hour of working my equipment seems to work fine, but after that the problem starts.
I've added a link to part of the drum track. I recorded it with my phone. It's run through some inferior computer speakers (normally I listen through my headphones) but I think it's enhough to hear what the problem is. The track is 100% quantized (the notes are perfectly on the grid) but it definitely doesn't sound quantized. This morning, when I just started up my equipment, the same track sounded perfectly quantized, and two hours later it sounds like this.

https://youtu.be/3nqodS0nDOI

welshsteve

Tell us about what computer you're using, specs, windows version, age.. stuff like that. It sounds like what is going wrong is on the DAW end somehow.

Wilbo

My computer is a VSystem Pro P55-i5-QUAD. It's 10 years old.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU  750 @ 2.67GHz 2.67 GHz
Geïnstalleerd Ram-geheugen: 4,00 GB (3,50 GB available)
Type systeem: 32-bits besturingssysteem, x64-processor

It runs on Windows 10 Pro.

welshsteve

Okay so it's unlikely down to the lack of power. Could you try using another DAW, Abelton/Cubase.. anything that will capture the midi coming in and then send it out on playback?

Do you have anyone else that has a laptop or a even an old sequencer. Basically, it's process of elimination. So it's very unlikely it's the module. But it's nailing down where the issue is happening.

Wilbo

My mother has a laptop with very little on it. I'll install Reaper and record something. See if that makes any difference. Thanks so far.