News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DrumIt5 MKII with 64gb Cards

Started by tsss27, October 30, 2020, 11:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANGR77

Which card 64GB Micro SD cards have you tried - wetnose and cman ?

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Cman

I only tried the Canvas Go Plus 64GB Micro SD card-which I couldn't get to work after many tries. Is there a card you would recommend? Thanks for your forum contributions ANGR77.

Karbonfaiba

When you say the Canvas Go Plus 64GB Micro SD card didn't work; do you mean the 2box module doesn't boot with it?

Remember that you still need to follow the formatting guidance for any card over 32GB... which is; creating an image of your stock 32GB card, cloning that image to your 64GB card, then extending it's partition up to the 60GB maximum - the 60GB hard limit goes for any 128GB and 256GB SD cards as well.

Cman

Yes, that statement is correct, the 2Box Drumit3 will not boot with it. I believe the 2Box screen reads 'FAT ERROR'. As far as following the correct procedure, 15 minuets prior to trying to get the MICRO SD 64gb card to work, I easily cloned an image to a Standard SD Card (64gb) with no problems (I have done this several times). I do use a micro sd card adapter (micro sd to standard sd card) as my desktop only accepts standard sd cards. I have been extending the partition to the maximum though and haven't paid attention to that detail so I may try again with those settings. Thanks for your contributions also Karbonfaiba.

Update: I went back and cloned an image (4gb) to the Micro 64gb Sd Card and this time I didn't extend the partition-just ejected the card and tried it that way in the module. The results were the same: Fat Error! Just an FYI on this.

Karbonfaiba

Do you have a spare 32GB SD card you can use?

What I did is format a 32GB card using the SD Memory Card Formatter here: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
Quick Format, Format Size Adjustment Off, 32K cluster size.

Then I cloned the partition of that 32GB onto the 64GB card with Minitool. I definitely didn't do a full sector clone, as I saved a lot of time (and memory life) just cloning the partition structure. After that finished I dragged just the 2box OS file and config onto in and tried booting.

If that boots, then go back to extend the partition size to 60GB (real size is  57.9 GB)

Test again, if that works, drag the sound libraries over and you're done!

ANGR77

I have not tried this card, but I think the Canvas Go Plus 64GB Micro SD is too fast for the 2box module with its 170mb/# transfer rate specs. There are slower models available from Kingston. Look for cards with transfer rates around 100 mb/s.
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Cman

I tried what Karbonfaiba suggested but still had the same result-FAT ERROR! I think ANGR77 may be correct regarding this Canvas Go Plus 64GB Micro SD card access time issue. I sincerely appreciate the time and suggestions to you and ANGR77. Much appreciated. I'll try again with another card sometime and report back. It's really not a big deal at this time, but as most things that use SD cards seem to be moving to the Micro SD card vs the regular size SD card, thought going forward it might be a better choice. Thanks again for your time and help.

Deve Loper

Hi All.
I think a card can not be too fast. The host determines the transfer rate. See also
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/sd-standard-overview/bus-speed-default-speed-high-speed-uhs-sd-express/
However, access time can maybe be too long, but that does not affect the card being recognized.
Reformatting 64 GB from exfat to fat32 is not that simple. Cloning is not the correct way actually.

Best,
Deve.

Cman

Deve,

Thanks for your input and insight-Always great to have one of the originals in the mix here. Is there a different-better way than cloning to accomplish the use of these Micro SD cards? Thanks for all of your contributions to the development of the 2Box module and to this forum-Greatly appreciated.

kenjwright

Quote from: Deve Loper on May 27, 2022, 09:40:37 AM
Hi All.
I think a card can not be too fast. The host determines the transfer rate. See also
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/sd-standard-overview/bus-speed-default-speed-high-speed-uhs-sd-express/
However, access time can maybe be too long, but that does not affect the card being recognized.
Reformatting 64 GB from exfat to fat32 is not that simple. Cloning is not the correct way actually.

Best,
Deve.
Hi Deve, Can you explain this phenomenon where supposedly (because I don't intend to validate!!) connecting the USB port when using a larger than 4GB card will destroy all of the data on the card? Seems a bit crazy!

Cheers!

Ken
Ludwig Acoustics, Paiste Cymbals, Drum Brothers Djun Djuns, ddrum3, ddrum4, 2BOX DrumIt Five, Pintech Cymbals, MegaDrum56, eDRUMin-4

Deve Loper

Hi. Thanks for the thumbs up Cman!

As fat32 on sdxc is not officially supported, there is no official utility to format them.
I am afraid cloning will have to do, or very low level byte wise tinkering.

Larger than 4 GB over the current DrumIt USB implementation goes wrong indeed (I know why).
However,  I dont want to go into details because I need the solution for my own sake, so to say :-)
I hope you understand. It cant be solved with an OS update anyway.

The original DI5 had the card built in, because it is (and turned out to be) hard to find a capable card. So the 4 GB USB limit back then was ok.

All the best,
Deve.

Ps. In the DI5mkII user manual it still says support for 64 GB, but on the web site its gone.

Karbonfaiba

SD Express sure looks tasty doesn't it?

That marriage with PCIe 4.0 and NVMe is ideal. SSD like bandwidth in SD Card form factor is crazy, hopefully IOPS come along for the ride too.

I would have no idea if it would be easier to develop AHCI for MSATA or NVMe for SD Express at this stage. The Mimic uses the former and it fairs perfectly well, but its an expensive module still, any cost savings made on the older SATA interface seems to have been made redundant by it's construction costs. However if both memory storage options provide the performance, I would pick the least troublesome.

Deve Loper

Hi. Sure fast these newer SD card interfaces. But it depends on the type of cpu / soc if it can be used.
Best I have seen is UHS-1 on embedded soc chips. (Mmm, interesting! :-)
Mimic uses a Sitara SOM which has SATA,

https://www.compulab.com/products/computer-on-modules/cl-som-am57x-ti-am5728-am5718-system-on-module/#ordering

Just the SOM costs like the whole DI5 mainboard.

Best,
Deve.

Chris

Here are my 2cents and preliminary results. (I will elaborate in a future post). I'm a Linux guy and I take a systematic approach to problem solving technology issues. Plus I have a dislike for anything Microsoft, especially where key events happen behind a GUI. So I've taken a foundational approach to troubleshooting this issue. For an OS to initialize and start up, the media, or in this case the SD card, needs to be able to tell the BIOS I have what you need to boot correctly. If not the boot procedure will fail and you will somehow be told the OS did not start and for you to "pound sand". Therefore, it makes perfect sense that simply copying files from the 32GB SD to the 64GB card won't work, even if formatted to fat32. In the original 32GB card, although I haven't checked this, I would hazard a guess that the boot flag is set. This would explain why imaging the 64GB SD with the 32GB image works... because the boot flag was previously set.

With this in mind, this is what I did.

Media: SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I. 64GB, 200MB/s

Procedure: Formatted the entire 64GB partition to fat32, set the Boot bit, and renamed volume to 2Box.

Created filesystem fat32 on partition '/dev/mmcblk0p1'

1st: Delete file system on '/dev/mmcblk0p1'
Command: wipefs --all /dev/mmcblk0p1
2nd:: Create file system 'fat32' on partition '/dev/mmcblk0p1'
Command: mkfs.fat -F32 -I -v /dev/mmcblk0p1
Command: sfdisk --part-type /dev/mmcblk0 1 c
3rd:: Check file system on partition '/dev/mmcblk0p1'
Command: fsck.fat -a -w -v /dev/mmcblk0p1

4th:: Set flags for partition '/dev/mmcblk0p1' to boot;
Command: sfdisk --activate /dev/mmcblk0 1

5th:: Set the file system label on partition '/dev/mmcblk0p1' to 2Box;
Command: fatlabel /dev/mmcblk0p1 2BOX

6th: Extracted the contents of DrumIt5_MK2_CC_Second.zip to the new 64GB 2Box SD card. The ...Second.zip file contains the OS, DrumItOS1.36.3.bin.

7th: Inserted the 64GB card with ONLY the contents of DrumIt5_MK2_CC_Second.zip, hit the power button and.... SUCCESS.

8th: Came back to my laptop, wrote this message while extracting the contents of DrumIt5_MK2_CC_First.zip in the new 2Box 64GB SD card.

9th: Posted this message and I am now on my way to see if everything still works... I'll get back to you soon.

Cheers
Chris

Chris

So it works!

I would be interested to see if it can be repeated by anyone else. Look forward to reading more.

Cheers
Chris