News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DrumIt5 MKII with 64gb Cards

Started by tsss27, October 30, 2020, 11:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halftime

Thanks Karbonfaiba, I'll send you a PM.

ANGR77

Great to see new activity on this matter. I don't think it is unsolvable...the system works great in many scenarios- but these Toontrack exports seems to create something special. As said a good look on the Hihat sounds and Ride is a good start to try finding the error.

Something that have not been tested is to go back to OS 1.22...on the original Drumit Five and try these SDSE exported sounds to see if any lag/latency is produced.

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Karbonfaiba

Yeah a big part of the problem is a lot of the diagnosis has been guesswork, trail and error.

From my testing with halftime, we've improved things somewhat by reducing the input polling (in theory). But it's still very much a fine balancing act with 2box, as it is with Megadrum or eDRUMin. If you have one thing out of bounds, the system halts while the queue of commands is processed. I think triggering issues play an equal part to issues with the memory card.

I hope the next 2box has more headroom for error. The thresholds are very narrow currently. Just playing on the unit screen for example is enough to cause a queue. Once everything that causes a queue is resolved, then you have your perfect drum module.

halftime

Yeah, with Karbonfaiba's assistance I got some improvement by setting Mask = 3 on all pads. The glitching now appears mostly when I play a beat with both the ride and the hi-hat involved. If I leave either one out, the latency is barely noticeable.

It does seem like it has to do with the trigger settings after all, but I don't really know what more I can do because all my gains & thresholds are quite moderate IMO and I only use a bit of XTalk/X-Trg on the toms. It's the same if I unplug everything except bass, snare, hi-hat and ride. Maybe one of those pads has something faulty that's sending extra trigger data, I don't know.

I totally agree with Karbonfaiba, hopefully the next generation of 2Box (if they ever get there) is a bit more forgiving.

ANGR77

Aha.

Some improvements. Halftime, What kind of triggers do you use? (I can't see any of this info in the thread - Just as reference for this post).

I think I can recall an issue from the past - have maybe nothing to do with this issue but I would like to mention it any way...I was once using a Cymbal without any edge trigger...but the settings in 2box was set to a Piezo/Switch implementation ...and the result was just some fantastic latency...and glitches...

A future forgiving 2box...or a new OS? We just need to nail the problem! :-)

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

halftime

Quote from: ANGR77 on May 03, 2021, 04:08:51 PM
Some improvements. Halftime, What kind of triggers do you use? (I can't see any of this info in the thread - Just as reference for this post).

I think I can recall an issue from the past - have maybe nothing to do with this issue but I would like to mention it any way...I was once using a Cymbal without any edge trigger...but the settings in 2box was set to a Piezo/Switch implementation ...and the result was just some fantastic latency...and glitches...

It's all Roland at the moment. KD-85, PDX-12, 2xPD-85, PD-105, VH-10, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, CY-8 + CY-5. I have seen your comment before about invalid trigger type selection causing issues and have tried to select the correct trigger types for each pad, but of course I could have missed something. The types for the minimum set of pads that I tried (bass, snare, HH, ride) are Kick1, PadPP, HiHat and CyPSB respectively.

halftime

Following up on my latency issues, not sure if this is the correct thread, but since it was last discussed here... I got a suggestion from forum member edcito that changing the VOICE setting on the KIT/ENV page to "Mono" instead of "Poly" for the bass drum might help with latency. I tried that and indeed noticed again some improvement. It's still not perfect because I still get a little bit of glitching, but it happens less frequently. I'm not entirely sure what the setting does because the manual doesn't explain it in detail, but it doesn't seem to affect the bass drum sound quality in a noticeable way. It may be more significant with other samples though. Anyway, I thought I'd share the information here as well.

Cman

Quote from: Karbonfaiba on April 19, 2021, 11:58:18 PM
Reporting here that Kingston Canvas Go! Plus microSDXC 64GB works very well in a 2box Drumit5 MKII.

I had a clue from a replacement card I was given by 2box support.

Basically since 2018, manufacturers have only recently started to realise a number of people aren't using memory cards just to store data, but to use them to install and run apps. A helpful standard was invented called "Application Performance Class Specification" to certify which cards are suitable for this; rated A1 and A2.

Having high input-output access per second isn't the complete picture, however, there is very reasonable link between high read IOPS and low random access latency - which 2box needs to be below 1ms on absolute terms. Quite a few older 64GB SD Cards actually meet the criteria to be certified A1 already from my research, but they were made before the specification came about. A1 requirement is at least 1500 IOPS read. My Kingston Canvas Go! Plus is A2 (at least 4000 IOPS read) The official 2box card is rated A1.

I have 4 microSD cards now; the ones that are rated A1 or above, work without issue. The cards that aren't certified at all, have glitches and lag. My testing tools aren't sophisticated, but they work well enough to reveal the secret is in read latency (at a particular chunk size) and also read consistency - that I'm just going to say it; buying any 64GB card (or even 128GB provided you restrict the partition size) as long as they are A1 or A2 certified, should work in 2box without any issues.

Shopping only for A1 / A2 certified memory cards should be the silver bullet.

Hello everyone, I've been following this thread and have to say many thanks to all who continue to push the boundaries of these modules. Though I did get a 64 GB card from Sandisk Ultra 120MB/s...(SDXC card class 10) to work a few months ago, I've been trying to do the same with the Kingston Canvas Go! Plus micro SDXC 64GB without success. I've a few questions to see if I can find my way on this. I've been though many different scenarios trying to get this up and running but consistently get a FAT ERROR via installation to the module. I'm using a dedicated daw computer running Windows 7 pro and the 2Box Drumit 3. The initial instructions indicate to Clone the working 32GB card first and then Image the Clone. Is this correct? I notice this new micro SDXC card is formatted with exFat-is this the correct initial state of the micro SD SDXC card? Anyway, just another basher playing on the computer! Any help is sincerely appreciated.

halftime

Quote from: Cman on June 09, 2021, 08:10:05 PM
The initial instructions indicate to Clone the working 32GB card first and then Image the Clone. Is this correct? I notice this new micro SDXC card is formatted with exFat-is this the correct initial state of the micro SD SDXC card?

You need to create an image file of the original 32GB card and then write that image to the 64GB card as described in this message. The image will replace the formatting of the new card, so it doesn't really matter what the initial state of it is, but the end result should be FAT32. After that, you can extend the written partition to the remaining free space on the card.

Cman

Quote from: halftime on June 10, 2021, 05:16:32 AM
You need to create an image file of the original 32GB card and then write that image to the 64GB card as described in this message. The image will replace the formatting of the new card, so it doesn't really matter what the initial state of it is, but the end result should be FAT32. After that, you can extend the written partition to the remaining free space on the card.

Thanks for the clarification. I did use that message as my guidance but that message does include the wording of both 'clone' and 'image'. Your reply does clear this up and my question regarding the initial formatting of the card. Appreciate your helpful response.

ANGR77

I have running on 64 GB memory since we (or you, Jojo34 :-) ) cracked the code - how to do it! :-)
It is working just perfect on my 2box units.

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com

Cman

Still a no-go on trying to get the 64gb micro sd card (in an adaptor) to work in the Drumit 3, have tried everything-numerous times- to get it working. Never had a problem with the 64gb regular SD card. No worries, I can use it elsewhere.

Wetnosedog6

FYI, I bought the exact 64GB card and it would not work with my Drumit 5 MK2.  Tried several times.

I have no issues with 32GB SanDisk.

Slamstick

Guys,  who supplied the 64 gig cards that don't work?  Looking to buy some good ones. Could you please share the source of the non working cards with us? T I A

Cman

I had the same problem with the 64gb micro SD card-just couldn't get it to work after many tries. No worries, the regular SD card is fine and works well.