Author Topic: Custom dsnd  (Read 124 times)

Bennyh

• View Profile
Custom dsnd
« on: May 21, 2020, 02:52:47 PM »
Hello,
I’m looking for advice on building an expressive snare. I want it to mimic how I would usually
play an acoustic snare, ghost notes near the edge, centre for moderate volume and rimshots for loud backbeat stuff. With rimshot sounds on the rim trigger as I often experience flams between the two zones.  I can live with it if it’s the only way.
I’m starting with a bunch of wav files from Drum Drops. There are about 40 files for each articulation.
I want to build a snare where the head zone has the following articulations, approximately
Quietest third edge hits
Middle third centre hits
Loudest third rimshot

I’ve used Lustark sdse but this doesn’t give enough control, fine for toms and kick.
I’ve used 2box sound editor..I can get somewhere near by trying to select a suitable proportion of each articulation, but they get jumbled up and I’d like a bit more control over what sample goes to each dynamic.
If you could somehow reorder the samples ?
Is there such a tool available? Any advice most welcome
Thanks
Ben

Lustar

• 2-Box S/N 01855
    • View Profile
    • Lustark Software
Re: Custom dsnd
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 05:58:36 PM »
To make sure the different articulations cut at the same velocity and don't overlap you'll want to use a velocities.map file, it's a format used by DSoundTool that's supported in SDSE now.

Here's what I would do:
- create a dsnd for each of your three zones (edge, centre, rimshot)
- extract them with DSoundTool (File > Open, File > Split) or DSound Tuner. It will extract the samples and create a velocities.map file for each zone.
- optional: rename the Edge folder to something like "SNARE1 - Snare ECR"
- in the Edge folder open velocities.map with Notepad. Remove the velocities you don't need, delete the corresponding .wav files from the folder.
- copy/paste the velocities you want from the other velocities.map files for the centre and rimshot and move the corresponding samples to the Edge folder.
- use DSoundTool to build the new dsnd (Dsnd > Generate) or copy the new folder in the "SDSE Sounds" folder if you plan to batch convert several snares later.

It's also possible to just check the velocities in each .map file to find the files you need, copy them in a new folder and rename the files so that they are sorted alphabetically in the order you need (edge first then centre then rim).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 06:01:29 PM by Lustar »

Bennyh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 07:10:48 PM »
Thanks Denis, and I should mention the fantastic service from Lustark software.
That process is crying out for a visual editor  ;)

tsss27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 03:51:30 AM »
I believe You could also arrange the samples in order from loudest to softest by renaming the files and set DSoundManager to build a dsnd in the exact file order. I do feel you'd lose a ton of control when having multiple articulations on one zone but if you're comfortable with it, that's probably the quickest way to do it.