Author Topic: Cymbals  (Read 282 times)

docadiddle2

• View Profile
Cymbals
« on: May 15, 2020, 09:21:11 PM »
I’m doing an A2E conversion but will most likely be buying a ride and definitely a hihat to use with DI5 mk 2 module.  Could I ask what cymbals people use, what you’d recommend and possibly more importantly any to avoid?

welshsteve

• View Profile
Re: Cymbals
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 11:36:14 PM »
Do you care if they're rubber or do you want a "cymbals" like cymbals?

that will make a massive difference to what I would recommend.

docadiddle2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 09:31:25 AM »
I hadn't considered anything other than rubber TBH Steve but wouldn't rule anything out. Reading around it sounds like Yam 130/5- 150/5 sound great value but unable to do 3 zone which actually I could live with and just use tom rim for bell sounds. Interested to hear all suggestions rubber or otherwise. Really grateful for your help again.

Stoked2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 04:31:24 AM »
With metal cymbals a lot of us are using metal or low volume metal cymbals converted with triggers. Mine have triggers from Stealthdrums.com . Some use Jobeky's already converted. There are a ton out there . I If you are handy you can buy your choice of triggers and cymbals and convert them yourself. Rubber , the new 2 boxMk 2 is compatible with most or if need be there are hi hat conversions sold out there like Steakthdrums.com

docadiddle2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 07:17:46 AM »
Thanks Stoked. I’ve seen the Jobeky cymbals but no reports about how well they trigger especially transition between zones. Do you have any experience of this?

Stoked2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 01:29:35 AM »
I can not say specifically because I never owned them. I bought a set of zildjian l80 low volume cymbals from Musicials friend and had them sent to Jman( Stealthdrums.com to install his triggers. I can say from being around here and vdrum forum since 2012 that I have heard mixed reports on the jobekys as far as reliability and triggering.I do have to say there are many others here, vdrum forum, 65 drums, etc., that have a lot of praise for the later Jobeky cymbals I never had a bit of trouble with my cymbals from Stealthdrums . Jman is a founding member here and Vdrum forum as well I believe,  and he has triggers that work on Roland, 2 box, Alesis, Pearl Mimic Pro for cymbals and drums. Or you can buy his triiggers and install them yourself
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 04:59:28 AM by Stoked2 »

welshsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 10:09:46 PM »
There's pros and cons to both as far as I am concerned. Rubber ones will give you better and cleaner triggering. Cymbal swells for example... on LV or metal cymbals, the edge zone only triggers after a certain velocity, so swells tend to be not very smooth. However, the general physical feel of LV cymbals is damn near close to an actual cymbal. And of course they tend to look more authentic. So it really comes down to what you prefer, triggering or Look/feel. As of now, no cymbal does both. I personally have LV cymbals with a custom trigger on it. Swells are the one thing I miss over rubber cymbals.. but upon reflection, I slightly prefer look and feel so that's why I use them.

docadiddle2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 05:45:08 AM »
Thanks both of you. I’m leaning towards rubber for the playability and also partly aesthetics as my kit is an old acoustic with the shells recovered in a carbon fibre wrap. Will post pics when I’ve finished it.