News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Refurbishing a 2Box 5

Started by powelly0, March 16, 2020, 07:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powelly0

Hi all.

I recently picked up a 2nd hand 2box 5 and discovered a real lack of sensitivity in the kick and snare, especially the kick.

Presumably this isn't something that I will have to live with forever, but I'm not very adept with Electronic kits as I've spent most of my life playing acoustic.

Will replacing the heads help? Is there something I can do to re-calibrate the trigger? I have already reset the box to factory settings, any advice is most welcome.

welshsteve

There could a few things causing this, but it isn't the module, the module is super sensitive and can track the lightest hit to the hardest whack at any speed you could trow at it. Was it a whole kit you picked up or just the module?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

powelly0

Hi Steve,

I picked up a whole kit. Original orange rim mesh pads

Dan

welshsteve

Okay, so first things first.

Correct trigger type for kick or snare.

Kick will be "Kick 1" or "Kick 2"

Snare will be "Pad12"

After that, set the correct gain setting. Hardest hits only register a 0db signal.

Now set threshold so lightest taps will trigger, set threshold just below that. Note on kicks, you probably won't want the lightest hits to trigger as in normal playing conditions you won't be so lightly playing the kick, so set threshold higher but enough so that all notes you play are triggered.

Curve, set to "norm" for now.

Turn crosstalk off for now.

How does it trigger now?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Murgen

Mesh heads might be gone too. In my experience they last long but all depends on where the kit was positioned (sunlight / dark) and treated.

You might want to take 1 pad and take it apart (unplug, unscrew the lugs, take off the black ring, check the mesh head, check the black ring, 5 rubber rings and the hooks and check the piezo sensors). Let us/me know if you need assistance.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

powelly0

Thanks guys. pad settings tweaked, but no real change for either pad.

The mesh on the kick has actually started to fray so that will almost certainly need replacing.

@Murgen, when you say to check the various components, what am I looking for? Are there any tell-tale signs of wear that I should be looking for? Is there anything other than the head that may need replacing?

powelly0

All,

FYI I have replaced the heads on the snare and kick and it's made a world of difference. I've never replaced heads on an electric kit before. The tuning of the snare is about the same as acoustic, but the kick needs to be tuned higher than an acoustic kit to carry the vibrations to the sensor at the edge effectively.