News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

hi hat or module problem

Started by bamdrums, December 19, 2019, 06:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamdrums

I'm having trouble calibrating the hi-hat (big surprise)

I recently bought a used 2box drumit 5 module and also the 2box Hi-hat on ebay from 2 different sellers. The "Unit" screen shows the flashing symbol indicating I can calibrate the hi-hat, but the only result I ever get is "unchanged" and the only sound my hi-hat makes is full open.

- I am using a TRS cable that works fine with my multi zone ride cymbal
-hi-hat will make only 1 sound whether I hit the pad or step on the pedal (that 1 sound can be changed with the "HHPOS" setting, but the different hits are all still limited to just 1 sound)
-I've tried every OS I could find and also 3 different SD cards
- I've tried the calibration dozens of times with no alternate results
- When I acquired the module it already had the 32gb upgrade
-I've read the manual, watched every video about 2box hi-hat calibration I could find, searched these forums and cannot find anything close to a definitive answer, so I'm reaching out for help. I'm sort of caught between these two sellers (both seem nice and directed me to these forums) but at the end of the day, I can't move forward until I have some idea what item is not functioning properly. I understand that hi-hat calibration can be tricky, but this is beyond tricky. If anyone has any troubleshooting tips, I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you!

-Brian

welshsteve

I would say there is an issue with the hihat controller part of the hihat. Contact 2box directly for help or maybe Jman (admin) can assist.

My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

bamdrums

Thanks for the reply, welshsteve! I just heard back from Jman today and he said the same thing. I think it's time to return that hi-hat pad.

ANGR77

In most cases so have the hi-hat broken...the magnet circuit ... you could try to do a opposite calibration...e.g. keep the hihat completely open when calibrate the closed position and closed when it is supposed to be in full open during calibration. This could in some situations wake the hi-hat...

Question: You have a magnet mounted below the hi-hat pad? Check to the edge on the hh pad is not broken or injured....

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

JRage

I had exactly the same thing on my hihat recently. The faulty element was hall sensor on controller board. I ordered on ebay, but shipping from UK took more than month so that my friend who is electronics expert ordered another one and received it after 5 days. Make sure its A1392 (there are A1391, A1393, and A139 with different sensitivity)
Mine was from
ALLEGRO-MICROSYSTEMS
Product code: A1392
IC Hall Effect Sensor, linear, supply 2.5 â€" 3.5 V, rest voltage 50% Vcc, sensitivity 2.5 mV/g, output band 10 kHz

Interesting thing, the voltage measurements on faulty one were within limits, therefore we initially suspected other elements (e.g. magnet itself), but after resoldering all problems were gone.
Posted by some mistake.

ANGR77

Quote from: JRage on December 26, 2019, 03:01:22 PM

Interesting thing, the voltage measurements on faulty one were within limits, therefore we initially suspected other elements (e.g. magnet itself), but after resoldering all problems were gone.

2box modules measures the pedal on the circuits current in mA...so the power in voltage is always the same when trying to measure. :-)

It is always A1392 which is used...In the hihats.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

JRage

Quote from: ANGR77 on December 26, 2019, 03:44:05 PM
2box modules measures the pedal on the circuits current in mA...so the power in voltage is always the same when trying to measure. :-)

Yes, my fault. I didn't delve in the topic, indeed that was the current not voltage. I provided my friend with all schematics and other information from forum. He even found one element was different in schematics (early controller version?). Anyways, when he tested with magnet, the measurements were within limits why he thought the chip is OK (but the hihat wouldn't calibrate) until the new one was soldered in its place.

Rgds,
Janis
Posted by some mistake.

JRage

Quote from: ANGR77 on December 26, 2019, 03:44:05 PM
It is always A1392 which is used...In the hihats.

How so? We also thought about trying out one which is more sensitive, I think it was A1391. Are there any other considerations in play for hihats apart from sensitivity?
Posted by some mistake.

Manfred

Hello

Quote from: JRage on December 26, 2019, 09:53:41 PM
He even found one element was different in schematics (early controller version?).

Could you let us know what element is different and maybe even post pictures of the circuit board?

Quote from: JRage on December 26, 2019, 10:01:05 PM
We also thought about trying out one which is more sensitive, I think it was A1391.

A1393 (5mV/G) and A1395 (10mV/G) are more sensitive than the A1392 (2.5mV/G). But why not just using a stronger magnet instead of changing the sensor for a bigger range between open and closed?

Manfred