News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Incorrect Triggering During Live Performance

Started by VktoriusWarrior, October 21, 2019, 05:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VktoriusWarrior

Hi there guys,

I use a Drumit 3 module on Roland TD-25 hardware. I use it to play in a cover band. I've had the module for a year and half now.

Sometimes when I am playing live, I experience weird triggering (especially with the snare). One particular venue has a 'floating' stage. I feel like it might be the small movements of the stage that are screwing me up.

I will hit the snare, but the sound might be on time or late. It makes me sound like I'm playing like crap.

I have fiddled a little with the 'mask' setting a little bit when I was playing live. I think it might have helped a bit. But I didn't want to get too deep into playing with settings while in a live setting. On the other hand, I will only experience the problem when I'm playing live. I don't run into the problem when practicing.

I have also suspected the deep frequencies of our sub woofer or the bass player's amp being too close to my set and they are triggering some of the pads.

Has anybody else experienced something like this?

welshsteve

I know this problem. Let me guess, at home it's not apparent but in a bassy environment it's noticeable?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

larsoes

You should contact 2box via messenger, maybe it's a hardware problem. I had my memorycard shifted due to lacking sounds.

Digs

welshsteve

A few things:

Avoid being next to the bassist/bass speaker, not always possible on small stages.
2 two modules. I found that the continuous hihat data coupled with bassy environments made it more noticeable. So, trading off the hihat to another module (I used a TD15 for a while then a 2nd Di3) or having say decent low volume hats, like the Aegean or something.

Nothing else I tried worked.

Digs

VktoriusWarrior

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have contacted 2box support and I will see what they say.

That is an interesting idea Steve to use a second module. Very interesting. I might give that a go. I might even use the second module for the ride cymbal in addition to the hats. I found I would mostly get this problem when I would use the ride cymbal (more than the hi-hat really).

My last show started off HORRIBLE because of this problem. We moved the bass amp away as best we could and I had to crank the 'mask' setting to maximum on all the pads. That worked (somewhat), but the snare was utterly horrible and non-responsive when the mask setting was cranked like that.

So that's not the complete answer either. Depending on what 2box comes back with I really might have to try 2 different modules. Not ideal, but I'm getting desperate now.

ANGR77

Hi!

I had a similar problem some years ago on stage...my feeling was that this came from a wrong set trigger type on one of the cymbals. It was set to PADPP instead of CYPS by accident. This seemed to fool the whole module ending up with delayed snare hits etc as you described. So try to check your settings for all drums.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

VktoriusWarrior

welshsteve

Quote from: VktoriusWarrior on November 07, 2019, 04:00:43 PM

That is an interesting idea Steve to use a second module. Very interesting. I might give that a go. I might even use the second module for the ride cymbal in addition to the hats. I found I would mostly get this problem when I would use the ride cymbal (more than the hi-hat really).

I totally recommend the 2 module set up. Especially if you at some point plan to expand the set up past the standard 1 kick, snare, 4 toms, 3 cymbals and hihat set up. It'll also give you options to have at least 8 outputs too!

VktoriusWarrior

Quote from: welshsteve on November 17, 2019, 02:27:49 AM
I totally recommend the 2 module set up.

Thank you Steve! I've taken the leap to start down this path. I am finding it a little freeing to be honest. For starters, I could never quite get the 2box module to treat my VH-11 hi-hats properly (even with all the guides out there). I had them at 85% - 90% where I liked them, but could never quite get it to 100%.

Now I don't have to worry about that. The native Roland module is most likely going to work best with Roland hardware.

My only slight concern is going to be the extra added weight when I am moving this set around. I usually use it at gigs once a month or so.

I haven't tried to move it yet, but when you add in the weight of the 2nd module, a mount for it, and the cabling...I think it's going to add up.

Oh well. Chances are it will still be a small price to pay to avoid this very bothersome issue.  :)

welshsteve

The extra module (whether it was a TD15 or the second di3) was only extra in terms of time to set up. That's unpacking, mounting, powering up and plugging in whatever pads. Now, if you think of it in time, it was never even 5 extra minutes.
I didn't use a VH11, I have a jobeky brass with a goedrum controller. It was okay with a td15 and okay with a di3. A mate of mine has a Vh11 which I tried with a Di3 and I much preferred it! Over I prefer the di3 due to the much bigger choice of hihat sounds

VktoriusWarrior

Final update: I just had a gig on the weekend with the "2 module" solution. Man, what a difference. It was perfect. I was able to play with some enthusiasm and confidence again.  :animal:

Everything behaved as expected, and this was at the place where I mentioned there was a floating stage AND a small area. The subwoofer and bass amp were close by but I didn't experience any of the unusual triggering!!

Now there 2 other little things I did and I won't know now if they also helped because I didn't run into problems. But I just wanted to make sure I had all bases covered, so before this last gig I:

1. Reformatted the SD card with the official SD card format tool (I think Jman mentioned in another thread).
2. I reinstalled a new SD card extender cable. I'm not sure if that would have made a difference, but I just wanted to eliminate any source of problems. My previous one was a little banged up here and there (some minor bending etc)

So like I said...I'm not sure if either of those steps would have made a difference but if I had to guess I would think it was the second module that made the difference.

Thanks again Steve!  :rock:

welshsteve

If you want to be sure, try using one module for one set, then two for the 2nd set. The conditions will be the same on both. If you notice some lagging with the one module, then you'll have your definite answer.

welshsteve

But also, think of your options to expand with 2 modules! A total of 8 toms (head and rim) 6 x 3 zone cymbals, 2 fully working hats, 2 snares, 2 kicks (or one main kick and one Perc pad) 8 outs (or a possible 12 with a work about)

You could midi sync kits, so you could only change one dial on one module but both would change? You'd have to make sure none of the midi notes clash otherwise you'll end up trigging the 2nd module with the first.

But that being said, that would give you scope of layering kicks, toms and snares with a smaller set up...