News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Convert .dsnd files to other type

Started by bjoecool, September 14, 2019, 03:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjoecool

I see that Lustar has software to convert VST to other formats, but what about the other direction? I have just started to use my acoustic kit with JMan's stealth triggers into my 2box module to record MIDI drum tracks into Reaper. I like the sounds in my 2Box and would be happy to use them in my recording. Rather than have the MIDI recording play back through the 2box module while I adjust the drum MIDI and build the rest of the recording, I would like the 2box sounds to be in the PC. Is there a way to convert .dsnd files to files that can be used in ReaSamplOmatic5000 or MT-PowerDrumKit-2 or something else within Reaper? Since I intend to track my physically playing the drums into MIDI recording, and I already have good sounds in the 2box, I really don't want to buy an expensive drum VST.
Thanks for your help!

welshsteve

As far as I know, the only way to do it is to do it via midi only. So out into PC back into Di5 and then route the audio to an input.
DSDN is a proprietary format so only works on 2box modules and the editor. But, if somehow there was a way to convert it to Kontact player format (whatever that is) that would be ACE!!!
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Lustar

It's also possible to extract the samples from .dsnd files to .wav, to then load them in any sampler that can use .wav samples.
To extract from .dsnd to .wav you can use DSoundTool (File > Open, select a .dsnd, File > Split) or DSound Tuner (Extract tab, Browse or drag and drop one or several .dsnd, click Extract, it will restore the original pitch by default)

welshsteve

Wow, so you'd just need a sampler VST for it to work? Any suggestions? I mean each one of these wavs will have the various velocities, so you'd need one which would assign them in accordance to their levels right? I hear people using Battery (rick Allen for example) for his sounds, would this do it? In logic it can be done with the ESX24 sample player, but don't know if there's a lot of work to do it.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Lustar

Each zone of the .dsnd is extracted to a folder that contains individual .wav files (one .wav file for each velocity). So if the sampler can assign the velocities it wouldn't take too long. The hard part would be to fine tune the results if needed.

I can't recommend any VST in particular since I've only been doing the opposite myself (from drum VSTs to 2box), but some drum VSTs like Perfect Drums or BFD3 can load multi layer samples (single articulation for BFD3).
For instance .dsnd instruments can be easily imported in BFD3 (one articulation at a time):
- in DSound Tuner browse or drag and drop one or several .dsnd files, check "restore pitch" and "reverse order", click Extract to extract the .dsnd to individual .wav samples numbered from quiet to loud.
- in BFD3 select Drums on the left then click File > Import Samples.
- select the drum type, type a name below (you can even add a user icon), click +, select all the .wav samples for the articulation, click Import.

paulf707

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/softdrum_ltd_by_fretted_synth_audio
Simple free sample player - by default has 4 layers per slot (and 12 slots).
Also I'm thinking you could assign the same midi note to two slots to get more layers.
I'm thinking of giving this a try; I've started using a TD3 for auxiliary pads and splash cymbals, and I'm thinking of downloading some Drumit or SD3 cymbal samples and using SoftDrum…..