News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Doing the DI3 sd card mod

Started by hurstaudio, September 05, 2019, 09:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurstaudio

Hi folks.

I'd like to do the SD card mod on my Drumit 3 but a few issues.

First after reading a few guides on here, I still don't see how I can lift the board up enough over the edge of the DI3 case without snapping the board or breaking something. Can someone explain what was done to remove the 4gb sd card? The card slot is right up against the chassis so there is no way to remove the card without really bending the board significantly and breaking it.

Also, I've tried talking to jman about this but he says he no longer does these mods and just told me to post on here, so where can I get an sd card extender from? Is it possible to use a samsung card rather than an ATP card? I've heard of folks having success using larger cards, such as 64 gb ones, is this true and if so, which ones? Just looking for clear instructions as I cannot risk damaging this board. I just see no way of doing this. I've disassembled pretty much the entire thing using instructions in another thread, removing some of the screws on the board but as someone else pointed out, you need to loosen the adhesive on the screen to fully lift up on the board...last I heard when jman was doing these mods he was charging $75 for the card and the cable...I was under the impression this also included installation as well, and I'm sure these cable extenders are pennies on the dollar.....

2box seems to be taking forever to release the di 5 mk ii so if I don't have to sell this di3 and buy that one, I don't want to.

Thanks all.

Zappmax

Hi, assuming you did remove all screws knobs the last thing holding the pcb is just some adhesive tape close around the lcd screen. In my modul were only some fragments left maby because the module was at hyperactive a few week ago. Dont bend the pcb on the long side, hold is close to the screen on the short side  try to fix  the metal housing  somehow and then try to apply some warm air flow with a heatgun from outside close tho the metal hole for the lcd. But warm air not hot air you may start with 40C .

I dont know how to upload here a pic i have one were you could see were the tape is located

OF COUSE ALL IS ON YOUR OWN RISK😩😀

hurstaudio

Ah, it is just tape. ok I'll reeveluate this. I thought it was some sort of glue......do you know where I can get an sd card extender by chance and if I can use a card larger than 32gb, such a 64gb one? From what I understand it has to be a specific card extender....

hurstaudio

Do you have suggestions on how to apply heat to this small parameter around the screen? You mentioned 40C which is 104F but all heat guns I've seen start at 750F and up.....if I used a hair drier, I fear it may damage the screen as it would be too wide of an area of heat being applied.....also I see the 64GB ATP sd card will work ok, but I need to be sure that I can access the card over USB, I understand it will be slow, but if tracking down an extender cable is really difficult then I can deal with the long wait times. Am I correct is saying that the issue of the sd card corruption only happens when accessing the card over USB while using the extender? Or does this happen as well plugged directly into the board?

roel

Quote from: hurstaudio on September 06, 2019, 10:07:33 PM
Do you have suggestions on how to apply heat to this small parameter around the screen? You mentioned 40C which is 104F but all heat guns I've seen start at 750F and up.....if I used a hair drier, I fear it may damage the screen as it would be too wide of an area of heat being applied.....also I see the 64GB ATP sd card will work ok, but I need to be sure that I can access the card over USB, I understand it will be slow, but if tracking down an extender cable is really difficult then I can deal with the long wait times. Am I correct is saying that the issue of the sd card corruption only happens when accessing the card over USB while using the extender? Or does this happen as well plugged directly into the board?

64 GB ATP sd card? You mean a SDXC 64 GB ATP card.
Who used this card in his 2box module? Is it working 100%?

ANGR77

Hi!

I would be a bit cautious regarding selecting a 64GB SD card...check this post where we are discussing the subject. There are very much up to SD cards memory configuration(SLC is the best and most expensive) and access time. The second issue that the cards need to be formatted in FAT32...which is not the case when going over 32GB.

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced/technical/1233797-2box-load-times-hi-hat-shoot-out#post1237211

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

rizion

Wanted to say hello and that I have had the SpeedLight kit for almost 2 weeks now. Enjoying it more so than the Alesis Strike kit it replaced. Needed a smaller footprint and have always enjoyed the module sounds I could hear from the internet. Did the sd card mod yesterday and it is awesome! Freaky bending the board, but it was honestly very simple to do. Found it strange that my original SD card is actually a micro inside the SD adapter. Stored safely away for now... Got the adapter and 32gb card from Amazon. Load time seems identical to original and am not experiencing any latency while playing or swapping through kits. Got Addictive Drums and now need to buy SDSE to make the most of what I will need from the Drumit 3. Is the SDSE drum manager software worth it?

ANGR77

SDSE is probably your best invested €30 ever...reading your environment above.

Anders / www.Zourman.com

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

rizion

Quote from: ANGR77 on December 16, 2020, 05:22:44 AM
SDSE is probably your best invested €30 ever...reading your environment above.

Anders / www.Zourman.com

I did go ahead and get both sdse and manager. Honestly I thought I was decently intelligent, but I'm super confused. Can get the kits/sounds exported to the sdse sound folder on my desktop but cannot get the kit sounds onto my sd card using the manager. Does everything but then each sound has red font after I import it. Meaning the sounds aren't there. What am I missing?

ANGR77

You need to manually copy the files from the SDSE directory to your sd card. Place it in its own folder. 2box will find all sounds anyway. SDSE will also generate dkit files for each drum set which have been exported. These drum sets will show up after the 100 presets. So you don't need to patch your default dkit file with dkit manager at once. .

If you want to start edit your default kit and replace the 100 presets...you can now take the SDSE card and open it on the pc...with dkit manager, the app will see the whole structure when editing.

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com

rizion

Thanks so much for the help. I'll give it a go and report back. I think I need to reinstall sdse as I may have saved a program on reaper and apparently that's a mistake using ad2. To recap, copy the sounds from sdse folder directly to a new sdse folder on my sd card, and without running kit manager, I should have the new sounds and kits show up on the drumit 3 listed after the original 100 kits? And if I want to change kits within the 100 I need to load the dkit file and use kit manager at that point?

Dobly

Quote from: rizion on December 18, 2020, 12:14:22 AM
I did go ahead and get both sdse and manager. Honestly I thought I was decently intelligent, but I'm super confused. Can get the kits/sounds exported to the sdse sound folder on my desktop but cannot get the kit sounds onto my sd card using the manager. Does everything but then each sound has red font after I import it. Meaning the sounds aren't there. What am I missing?

I made 2 .bat files... THE full copy of my SD card lives on a shared server.. I use 2 .bat files to move the SD card to the PC and the other to move the PC to the SD

PC to SD looks like this.

@echo off
robocopy  b:\Drums\Drumit3 d:\ /mir

and SD to PC looks like this.

@echo off
robocopy d:\ b:\Drums\Drumit3 /mir

So, the Dkit Manager only ever operates on the B:\Drums\Drumit3 files.

Then I use the .bat file to write it to the SD card.