News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

16GB SDHC Memory Card

Started by dane, October 06, 2010, 12:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

Hi, first post here.... been registered and reading for a long time, just never posted.. 1st off I bought a used Drumit 5 kit in the UK and a buddy picked it up and is shipping me the module and a few of the pads (I plan to use my own kit with it, but want to have a good reference, so I can get my triggering response on par with the stock pads). I guess I'll be one of the few in the US that have a Drumit Five?? So I've been getting up to speed, reading a lot of the posts and info from the 2Box site.

Since I bought used, and am in the US, I suppose warranty isn't an issue with me ... I haven't even got my hands on the module yet, but I already have an SDHC extender cable/adapter on order, and plan to modify this after I back up the existing module, do any OS updates needed, etc... and basically make sure I have a system already up to date ... operating well and backed up... Then I will do the mod with the card slot in the side of the module.

Anyway, since the USB function is hosed with the larger 32GB card installed, I assume the Kit Editor Software will not be able to be accessed, right? Does the module have to be included? In other words, you can't just use a USB Card reader and do editing via the software without the module, right?

OK, not answering my own questions here, but thinking ahead..... assuming I will have no access to USB editing with the 32GB card .... I figure I will keep the original 4GB card plus another 4GB card on hand.... put that card in the module, do any editing with a working 4GB card, then transfer that to the PC and to the 32GB card ... Also load any and every new sample or song wave that comes along onto the 32GB card ... not really loosing all USB capability, just necessitating an extra step or 2.

From what I read in that SOS article it looks like Bengt has a 3 times compression feature planned in an update coming along in the future, which I suppose would give the ability to load a lot more samples, so maybe I'm jumping the gun here.... but hey, 32GB would look so much nicer on the module startup screen ;D  Plus I like the idea of being able to have multiple SD cards if I want.  8) Jman
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

edtc

hi JMAN

first ,bravo for your diy work , i saw your vidéos as i was researching ideas , and was really impressed with what you achieved.
Quote from: Jman on February 16, 2011, 05:28:37 AM
.... I figure I will keep the original 4GB card plus another 4GB card on hand.... put that card in the module, do any editing with a working 4GB card, then transfer that to the PC and to the 32GB card ... Also load any and every new sample or song wave that comes along onto the 32GB card ... not really loosing all USB capability, just necessitating an extra step or 2.

IMO , those 2 steps will take longer than you may think , usb1 is slow and 4gb is long to transfer (remember last century...when we had more hairs...:))

I never had the oportunity to try , but i think it is possible to edit the SD card directly in the PC ... just have to tell the editor the right path ...

So .... welcome onboard , and glad you gave your nice drum kit a good module :)

Slap the drummer

Hi jman-
Yes that's right, you can edit using the editor without the module being involved.  From memory there doesn't have
to be a card involved either, just point the editor at any folder (on PC drive).  Or just edit the 32gb card directly
within the module.  It's only the USB transfer affected by the 4GB limit issue.....
which actually gives rise to another point I guess  :) - you can't edit the 32GB card with the editor when IT IS IN
the module!

Jman

Quote from: edtc on February 16, 2011, 11:08:57 AM
hi JMAN

first ,bravo for your diy work , i saw your vidéos as i was researching ideas , and was really impressed with what you achieved.IMO , those 2 steps will take longer than you may think , usb1 is slow and 4gb is long to transfer (remember last century...when we had more hairs...:))

I never had the opportunity to try , but i think it is possible to edit the SD card directly in the PC ... just have to tell the editor the right path ...

So .... welcome onboard , and glad you gave your nice drum kit a good module :)

Thnx for the kudos and info edtc, Hey, how'd you know about the hair? I wear a cap in my videos ;D My kit is one of the reasons I hadn't considered the Drumit 5 til recently when I saw some posts and realized that cymbals and cymbal inputs are just single piezo/switch type, and I already knew drums were piezo/piezo, so now I am confident I can start working out specifics to get my triggers working well with the module. HH will be the main challenge, but this is all off topic .... so another thread, another day.

Jman

Quote from: Slap the drummer on February 16, 2011, 12:28:10 PM
Hi jman-
Yes that's right, you can edit using the editor without the module being involved.  From memory there doesn't have
to be a card involved either, just point the editor at any folder (on PC drive).  Or just edit the 32gb card directly
within the module.  It's only the USB transfer affected by the 4GB limit issue.....
which actually gives rise to another point I guess  :) - you can't edit the 32GB card with the editor when IT IS IN
the module!

Thanks, that's the info I need.... I've been reading lots, and retaining some, all head knowledge until I get my hands on this thing.... now I remember that the present beta version of the editor won't allow you to keep changes via USB, and isn't ready for the newest drumit 5 OS... Looks like I could use the earlier OS file system with the editor to do the edits, but might just be easier to wait for version 1.0.
I may be missing something, but even if you cannot save changes with the editor via USB with the module.... wouldn't a removable SDHC card help since you could just do changes on the PC files (with the next Editor version), save on the SDHC and put the card back in the module?

Jman

Quote from: MarkuZ on January 13, 2011, 08:49:48 PM
32GB is running fine too  ;D

It is a Transcend 32Gb Class 10
My original Card was a Kingston class 6.

Have a look here:
http://www.drummerforum.de/forum/40438-2box-drumit-five-bestellt-fotos-test-und-erfahrungen-hier-sobald-es-eintrifft/thread65.html#post883808

I found 2 different Transcend 32GB Class 10 cards.
This one:
http://www.goodsatdeal.com/Reviews/Transcend-32-GB-Class-10-SDHC-Flash-Memory-Card-TS32GSDHC10E.html
and This one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/712659-REG/Transcend_TS32GSDHC10_32GB_SDHC_Card.html

Could you tell me which one you are using? Edit: OK ... looks like by the photo of your module with the card in it .... it is the 1st link......
thanks, J

nonoduweb

Quote from: Jman on February 16, 2011, 06:57:55 PM
Could you tell me which one you are using?

Here is another picture from the german forum wich shows the good job of MarkuZ.  ;D

Jman

Quote from: nonoduweb on February 17, 2011, 06:57:56 AM
Here is another picture from the german forum wich shows the good job of MarkuZ.  ;D

Thanks, yup, that's the one I ordered earlier this eve...  8)

Slap the drummer

Quote from: Jman on February 16, 2011, 06:39:59 PM
.... wouldn't a removable SDHC card help since you could just do changes on the PC files (with the next Editor version), save on the SDHC and put the card back in the module?

Yes, shd work fine - sorry I may not have been clear.

If you want to use the "Editor" then you need to be able to remove the card and edit on PC of course (with card over 4GB)

OR, you could just edit the kits 'manually' using the module itself, in which case there's no need to remove card (although if
you want to add new sounds to the memory bank this wd have to be done on a PC since the USB won't work for this either.

Jman

Quote from: Slap the drummer on February 17, 2011, 02:33:26 PM
Yes, shd work fine - sorry I may not have been clear.

If you want to use the "Editor" then you need to be able to remove the card and edit on PC of course (with card over 4GB)

OR, you could just edit the kits 'manually' using the module itself, in which case there's no need to remove card (although if
you want to add new sounds to the memory bank this wd have to be done on a PC since the USB won't work for this either.

Thanks so much, very helpful. I think you were clear explaining, I'm just catchin on, and making sure I'm on track. Still weeks before I get my hands on the module, but I like to get up to speed in advance where possible. J

roel

Hello Jman, I had visit your drumsite long time ago and I really like it. Now Iam reading that you also own a 2box set thats great!.What are you thoughts about it compared to roland and yamaha?

Jman

Quote from: roel on February 17, 2011, 07:33:09 PM
Hello Jman, I had visit your drumsite long time ago and I really like it. Now Iam reading that you also own a 2box set thats great!.What are you thoughts about it compared to roland and yamaha?

Thanks roel: It is still in the UK ... my friend there is going to ship to me after he tests it for himself.... and he might keep it for a week or so before sending me the parts I want. His statement was that the sounds are "impressive". I have demoed Drumit 5 at Winter NAMM twice, Bengt wasn't at Winter NAMM this year. I have liked the sounds when testing, but that is not much time. There were quite a few problems at the 1st show, (it hadn't been released yet). 2nd show, still working out some gliches I thought. It now seems things are ironed out more, as you guys know on this forum... Like I mentioned earlier, I plan to adapt my own drums/triggers to use with the module.

I still have an expanded TD-20 module which I will be able to use for A/B comparison, which will give me a much better perspective... but honestly, I am excited at the potential, looking forward to those new sounds.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread :-[

Jman

I received my SDHC Extender Cable/adapter today. Much sooner than I expected, I received it from China to So Cal, US within one week of purchase. Ships International ... so I will let you know how well it works. This is the item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320624495515&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I won't have my Drumit 5 module for a couple weeks at least, so I'll come back with progress and pics. I tested the adapter on my PC using a 32GB card I already had... recognized it fine after formatting.

The flat cable is quite thin  8) ... I plan to do mine as an alternative for those that are afraid to do any permanent mods to the module case. Since the flat cable is so thin, I think I will be able to slide it out of the module case, use a small amount of electrical tape to shim where it squeezes through to protect it from getting pinched... then mount the Plastic card slot part on the side of the module with some strong 2 sided tape... I'll come back when I go forward and take pics along the way... This should be a nice option, and completely reversible.  

J

AA_

Quote from: Jman on February 20, 2011, 12:13:05 AM
(...) I plan to do mine as an alternative for those that are afraid to do any permanent mods to the module case. Since the flat cable is so thin, I think I will be able to slide it out of the module case, use a small amount of electrical tape to shim where it squeezes through to protect it from getting pinched... then mount the Plastic card slot part on the side of the module with some strong 2 sided tape... I'll come back when I go forward and take pics along the way... This should be a nice option, and completely reversible. (...)

good idea :)

that was my first version:

and after successful tests:

Jman

Quote from: AA_ on February 20, 2011, 11:33:57 AM
good idea :)

that was my first version:

Yup, saw that pic ... that's my inspiration! I wasn't sure whether you had tightened the screws up on the casing, but now that I look closer, it looks like you had it completely assembled that way, cool .... I may just end up doing a slot too, just like you... later on after I am sure I have no glitches...
I was wondering if you think I will run into any problems as far as insulation/shielding on the flat ribbon type cable extending out of the module like that?

Also, you have had the slot and larger SDHC card for months now, have you run into any problems at all?  Also, if I do the slot I like the hot glue idea especially since it is quick ... no need to clamp things in place waiting for adhesive to dry... Is that holding up well?