News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

16GB SDHC Memory Card

Started by dane, October 06, 2010, 12:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dane

Quote from: Baby Samus on October 06, 2010, 10:52:19 PM
OMG!!  All you need to do is open the case, remove the old card and back it up, format the new one as per Dane's instructions and copy the old card data on and slot the card back in the module!  Thats so easy, well it sounds easy.  Did it need an O/S rewrite, and do you know if it can accept a 32gb or 64 gb card?

Well this is such good news.  Dane can you possibly write a little guide as to how you did it so we won't go wrong if we try - any tips you have would be much appreciated  ;D

copy files, format directly in 2box ,not working
only works  in the card reader
32gb and 64gb not tried ;)

fishmonkey

Quote from: dane on October 07, 2010, 02:12:53 AM
copy files, format directly in 2box ,not working
only works  in the card reader

i'm not surprised that you can't format the card in the brain.

but are you saying that you cannot transfer files with the card in the brain, but that the brain can read the files okay once they are on there?

dane

Quote from: fishmonkey on October 07, 2010, 02:18:24 AM
i'm not surprised that you can't format the card in the brain.

but are you saying that you cannot transfer files with the card in the brain, but that the brain can read the files okay once they are on there?

yes can read
:rock:  

madmanmafimardi

Could Bengt run some tests for us?
this is very cool news

fishmonkey

i really don't think 2Box will be encouraging people to open up their modules to swap memory cards. Insider has already said that it will void your warranty, which is not surprising.

and i'm sure 2Box already knows all about what works and what doesn't as far as memory cards go...

puttenvr

We gave away this years X-mas present
Normally 2Box offers us new sounds
This year, they wanted to reveal the card news ...

franz-tanz

Maybe the next module update the will bring out has a slot for flash cards, that will be a huge advantage.
Too bad for the ones who got their brain earlier.  :-[
I'am planning on buying one the next weeks!!!  :-\

Evy

Ok...please don't laugh at me because I'm quite slow witted when it comes to computer stuff.  Everybody seems excited about the idea of swapping memory cards but is there a benefit other than being able to load even more sounds?  Seems to me the 4g in there already is more than enough.  Again if there is another reason please explain!  Would a bigger card make it work better?  It already works great for me.

Signed, The Ludite..

fishmonkey

it's only something to be excited about if you want to load more samples or audio tracks...

Evy

ok so no biggie for me(for now), thanks fish. 

nonoduweb

The strange thing is that if we just need to replace the old card by another one without welding anything, why 2box didn't plan to make a hole in the brain?

Manfred

Quote from: nonoduweb on October 07, 2010, 04:37:07 PM
The strange thing is that if we just need to replace the old card by another one without welding anything, why 2box didn't plan to make a hole in the brain?

Maybe it is planned for new releases or models?! New designs often have features that are not released at the first step. As you could see 2Box even worked on basic features (hihat, cymbal triggering) at the beginnig. So I guess there was simply not enough time to develop and test features that are "nice to have" but not essential. It is very common to release with reduced features at the first step and/or use the same hardware for different models.

Manfred

fishmonkey

while we are on the topic, when buying SDHC cards, don't forget to check the speed of the card, which is indicated by the 'Class' number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating

puttenvr

Yeah, thx
but which class do we need?

fishmonkey

for cards 8 GB or above, i don't think you can get anything slower than a Class 4.

here's one way to look at it:

16 GB SDHC card, Class 4:

15 Mb/s = 1.875 MB/s, so it would take about 140 minutes to fill the card.

16 GB SDHC card, Class 6:

20 Mb/s = 2.5 MB/s, now it would take around 105 minutes.

it would be interesting to know what the speed of the standard card that comes with the 2Box is...