News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

16GB SDHC Memory Card

Started by dane, October 06, 2010, 12:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baby Samus

Quote from: rcprod on March 20, 2011, 02:38:52 AM
Has anyone tried a Kingston 32 GB Class 10 card or heard anything good/bad about them?

The card that comes in the 2Box is actually Class 6 I think, so any Class 10 card should work with the 2Box - Class 10 guarantees a standard write speed in particular conditions, see wikipedia: 

The Class number represents a multiple of 8 Mbits/s (1 MB/s), and meets the least sustained write speeds for a card in a fragmented state.[23] These are the ratings of some currently available cards:[23]

Class 0 cards do not specify performance, which includes all legacy cards prior to class specifications.
    Class 2, 2 MB/s, slowest for SDHC cards.
    Class 4, 4 MB/s.
    Class 6, 6 MB/s.
    Class 10, 10 MB/s.

Even then, the module is more concerned with the speed of read operations, which in a Class 10 card will be closer to 20 MB/s.  So in theory, all class 10 cards should perform at a suitable level even when heavily fragmented.  Any that don't will be the exception rather than the rule.

I actually just bought 2 * 16GB Class 10 PNY Pro (Read 20MB/s Write 18MB/s) memory cards, and am in the process of ordering an SD card extension cable to mod the module - fingers crossed it all goes to plan as you can never have enough space eh?  JMan I will take a look at your pics thanks man.  Can't wait to start making some large detailed samples.  I thought I would buy 2 cards the same and keep a backup, in case a card fails so I can replace it quickly.  Man if your card failed live and you had no backup that would suck big style  :-X

Jman

Quote from: Baby Samus on April 03, 2011, 08:45:39 PM
The card that comes in the 2Box is actually Class 6 I think, so any Class 10 card should work with the 2Box - Class 10 guarantees a standard write speed in particular conditions, see wikipedia:  

The Class number represents a multiple of 8 Mbits/s (1 MB/s), and meets the least sustained write speeds for a card in a fragmented state.[23] These are the ratings of some currently available cards:[23]

Class 0 cards do not specify performance, which includes all legacy cards prior to class specifications.
   Class 2, 2 MB/s, slowest for SDHC cards.
   Class 4, 4 MB/s.
   Class 6, 6 MB/s.
   Class 10, 10 MB/s.

Even then, the module is more concerned with the speed of read operations, which in a Class 10 card will be closer to 20 MB/s.  So in theory, all class 10 cards should perform at a suitable level even when heavily fragmented.  Any that don't will be the exception rather than the rule.

I actually just bought 2 * 16GB Class 10 PNY Pro (Read 20MB/s Write 18MB/s) memory cards, and am in the process of ordering an SD card extension cable to mod the module - fingers crossed it all goes to plan as you can never have enough space eh?  JMan I will take a look at your pics thanks man.  Can't wait to start making some large detailed samples.  I thought I would buy 2 cards the same and keep a backup, in case a card fails so I can replace it quickly.  Man if your card failed live and you had no backup that would suck big style  :-X

Yes, the original card in my module was a Class 6 Kingston card.
I honestly don't anticipate any failure. No more so than with the original card. This thing has worked flawlessly. And I think that is the same for the others now using the larger cards. And really this is a good thing if you ever did have a failure during a live performance. Just keep an extra backup card with you. If your module fails, turn it off, switch cards..... Cool thing is that you can keep that backup on another card or use multiple cards if you like. Just turn off the module, insert a card, turn on the module and play. Switch cards as much as you like....  8) Oh, and when doing the extender cable, the nice thing is there is a step by step guide for taking the module apart and changing memory cards on the 2Box website. That takes the fear factor out of crackin open that module.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Jman

Don't waste your money on this one:

After countless times trying to format, finally formatted it didn't work .... NO OS error .... thinking it was a bad file or ??? I reformatted and loaded everything again ... over and over... I finally got the thing working ... then removed it from the module, put it back in and got the error again .... I finally figured out,  more or less ... that something is funny with the way it fits physically ... or the lock tab ... cause I could wiggle it ... move the lock tab back and forth ... etc... and get it to work, hit or miss though .... so stay clear is my advice .... trying to save $5 ... basically is costing me $95, by the time I purchased a different card ... $45 for that one and $50 for the Transcend 32GB that I already know works!  Fortunately this Centon works in my dig. mini camcorder .... but I didn't need one for that :'(

digitalDrummer

Did anyone else have trouble removing the Torx screws from the main board? I have four screws which were overtightened and won't budge. In fact, they were distorted when they were installed, so the Torx bit simply rotates in the screw.
Anyone know how to get them out without damaging the board?

digitalDrummer

Quick update: a new high quality screwdriver and a drop of WD-40 did the trick. For anyone contemplating this, it's worth buying a decent Trox screwdriver. The $2 shop variety are too soft and the star just wears down before you're halfway!

Jman

adorval

Has anyone thought of just splicing a usb card reader in?
Not sure if it's even doable, just an idea:

Current connection of card to computer via 2box usb:
sd card  -> 2box circut board -> usb plug in back panel -> usb cable -> computer

Would it be possible to insert a usb card reader into the chain where the card connects to the brain?
sd card -> circut board -> usb plug in back panel -> usb cable -> computer
             \
               -> usb card reader -> new usb port -> usb cable ->computer

Where you wire each of the tines from the card slot on the 2box brain, to the tines on a usb card reader like this:

And then use an adapter to mount a new usb port that connects to the usb card reader like this:

it would bypass the 2box brain all together when you plugged in the new usb port to your computer, and just let your computer write directly to the card, as if it was removed and slotted in to the compter. 

off the top of my head it would be a difficult project to wire the sd card reader tines, and im unsure if that connection would wreck anything on the circut board when you plug it in to your computer

it would be as if the card was simultaneously plugged into your computer AND the 2box brain

if only there was such a thing as an sd card splitter

puttenvr

Great find
Just a small software update (hint ...) and it works

edtc

hello

sandisk sdhc cards are getting cheaper ... I ve found a 16GB EXTREMEIII class10 for 32.15€ incl shippment .

here is a link... http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0037FLUYU/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

twisted.mellow

Just picked up a 32gb Class 10 Patriot card this weekend for $45 AU - Bargain! Works like a charm :)

Interestingly enough, the 4gb card I pulled OUT of the 2Box was a Class 10 - good to see they are updating the specs in newer models :)

Jman

Quote from: twisted.mellow on August 24, 2011, 03:05:20 AM
Interestingly enough, the 4gb card I pulled OUT of the 2Box was a Class 10 - good to see they are updating the specs in newer models :)
Yeah, mine was Class 10 also.

Deve Loper

Hi.
Defragmenting has no effect at all.
Also the speed class doesn't give the whole picture. The access time is extremely important but unfortunately hardly specified by sd card manufacturers.
Deve.

digitalDrummer

Quote from: twisted.mellow on August 24, 2011, 03:05:20 AM
Just picked up a 32gb Class 10 Patriot card this weekend for $45 AU - Bargain! Works like a charm :)

Ian, are you going to redefine what "works like a charm" means???

twisted.mellow

Ha ha yeah... my first tests were quick with only the snare.

The reality is different. After playing a basic beat with tom work, as soon as the module starts to labour, the sounds break up and latency goes way up.

I'm pretty sure that this card is faulty. Tried formatting it, does the same thing.

$45 bargain isn't a bargain. I figured Patriot cards were OK - I've used patriot ram before and it's still running in an old box from a few years ago!

Am currently in the process of organising to return it and get a different brand.

Thanks for the reminder to update Allan! :)