News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Overrated Roland!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Mixmaster5, September 28, 2010, 07:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mixmaster5

I tested Roland TD 12 which costs 5.500.- bucks: You cant load sounds and song on it just 50 kits the dynamic of the set was not that good and the cymbals were a catastrophe!!! 2box costs 2.500 bucks and its just amazing you have many possibilities and you can really make your own stuff!! So anybody tell me why so many people pay so much for roland??? And why is roland soooooo expenisv

Pleas write your opinion!

drumsonly2002

I have been playing electronic drums since 1984. What I appreciate about Roland is their continuing devolopment of pads. Great pads. Sound wise, I never bought into the hype. Acoustic sounds never did anything for me. Over priced and a very well known name brand. If they ever fix the way the units trigger and sound, may be worth considering. Pad wise, I like the mesh stuff they make. Roland and Yamaha seem to be on the same level as far as triggering. Yamaha trumps them sound wise. Ddrums blows both of them away, thus, Drummit 5 is King. The brand name Roland has a good reputation making quality instruments. They missed the boat with their drum modules, but are brilliant with pads, promo and marketing.

puttenvr

Their Octapad 80 (without sounds) was very good
And sometimes they make a legendary instrument like the Roland D-50 and the Roland Jazz chorus amp
All the other Roland instruments never impressed me, or disappointed me after some time
Always the same lame sounds in a plastic box for way to much money

Hope 2Box will make a open system octapad one day
Then I will sell my SPD 30 immediately

Mixmaster5

@drumsonly

I agree with you the NEED a new drum modul system! I think the 2box pads are at least as good as those of roland!

Evy

Also Roland(and Yamaha) have really been the only players of note in this field.  Until 2Box came along what real option did any of us have?  Were they overrated?  I don't suppose Roland cared, people were buying their product at their prices because there was no other choice.  I owned a TD9KX at one point when it first came out and loved it.  Sold it later on to go back to real drums, then came along 2box.  For essentially the same price point there is no comparison...2box all the way.  I too feel the 2box pads are as good if not better than Rolands in terms of feel and sensitivity.  2box still needs some design tweeks IMO.
With the 12 and the 20 you do get more stuff, pad, cymbal.  Obviously not worth the extra 3 grand you pay, but it's also about brand recognition/resale etc.  However if I were Roland I'd be very concerned.  My guess is they will come out with something similar in terms of an open system but it will still be a lot more money.  They can charge it because they know there will be fewer issues with delivery/spare parts.
Again, if I were Roland I would consider making 2box an offer they can't refuse and rebrand the drumit!

puttenvr

Quote from: Evy on October 02, 2010, 03:29:52 PM
Again, if I were Roland I would consider making 2box an offer they can't refuse and rebrand the drumit!

Please no. No ...

fishmonkey

Quote from: Evy on October 02, 2010, 03:29:52 PM

i think you left out the bit where they triple the price...

Evy

Quote from: fishmonkey on October 04, 2010, 09:27:46 AM
i think you left out the bit where they triple the price...

That's implied ;)

hwasser

I think the roland pads are just fine. But the hihat and cymbals sucks, really sucks compared to 2box cymbals. The roland cymbal are made of lightweight plastic and really thich rubber on the top which give you the feeling that you playing on a pile of grunge. The 2box cymbals are made of metal and are heavier, and have much thinner rubber so it feels much more realistic.

rythm

I think Rolands pads and cymbals are quite good. They´re responsive, the dynamics is not that bad, the rack works good.
The biggest disadvantage is the price tag and the lack of good sounds.
For me it boils down to one simple fact: you get so much more drums for your money in Drumit Five.

puttenvr

For me the Roland dynamic range is very limited
It ranges from quite soft to loud and loud
and then it stops
ddrum had and 2Box has far better dynamics

BTW: dynamics had nothing to do with the pads but with the module (software, dynamic layering)

rythm

Quote from: puttenvr on October 05, 2010, 04:54:02 PM

BTW: dynamics had nothing to do with the pads but with the module (software, dynamic layering)

I was more thinking of the quality aspect  ;)

Slagverket

Quote from: puttenvr on September 29, 2010, 05:11:41 AM
Their Octapad 80 (without sounds) was very good... legendary instrument like the Roland D-50 and the Roland Jazz chorus amp...

I totally agree. I loved to trigger sounds from the Octapad I had in my studio back in the days... Also I can remember when our (then) Keyboardist got the D50... we were in "awe"... Then I got a D50 for the studio (out of nostalgical reasons) and I recall I found it had very high background noice... always had to use a noicegate to cancel out the hizzzzzzzz... The JC120 is indeed a classic. Miked with a 12 string its simply awesome. Didn't Roland reissue the JC120 a few years back?? OK, l have to return from memory lane now.. Thanx for the trip "puttenvr"!

/S