News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Blast from the Past

Started by drumsonly2002, September 15, 2010, 02:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drumsonly2002

Bought a vintage DDrum Plus Sound modules in a rack for a keepsake. Waiting for it to arrive. Appears to be 60% analog, 40% digital. Something nice to have, a peace of DDrum history. Never seen, nor heard one live, has anyone ever owned or played such? Did the guys creating Drumit 5 have a hand in devoloping it? Any history on this would be great as nothing much written about it is on the net. It's a shame the history of such a unit is not recorded. Any one with any info please share. My goal is to put a web page dedicated to vintage Ddrums and how it progressed to the amazing Drummit 5. Be nice to get the names and history of those who devoloped DDrums, then leading to Drummit 5. People are amazed when I tell them my DDrum Se 4 kit was made in Sweden, thus of the highest quality. Any information well appreciated.

puttenvr

Quote from: drumsonly2002 on September 15, 2010, 02:33:41 AMwas made in Sweden, thus of the highest quality.

Like ABBA, Volvo, pippi, Ikea ... Sweden is great
Don't think that ddrum unit is analog. Perhaps it will have 12 bit samples. Can be surprising good
ddrum alwas was.

drumsonly2002

The unit has a treble and bass adjustment that seems unique. I understand that it may not have layered sounds like the modern modules, but it will be nice to own a peace of history. So far I found out, first came Ddrum Plus, Ddrum AT, DDrum 2, 3, 4, and 4 SE. So far I have collected the Plus, DDrum4 module, and DDrum 4 SE (entire kit mint with original rack and mesh pads. ). Collected a concert cast DDrum snare. Going to concentrate on the first DDrum rack unit and restore it, hopefully find original pads in time.
The unit has the mixer and 6 sound units with cartidges. I'll keep you guys posted. I am honoring the DDrum influence here and not wanting to take away as this is a Drumit 5 forum. Drumit 5 is the best module in the world as we know, and nice to know it's "roots" so to speak being built with the highest quality and brilliant workmanship on the planet. I have owned and used many electronic kits, and like vintage electronic drums to collect.

UC

This sounds really nice - photos please!

hefu

No, the ddrum plus wasnt the first, ddrum was first.
I had a ddrum plus back in -91 or so. I also had a mullet...

puttenvr

ddrum plate was the first unit (not a kit)

QuoteI also had a mullet...
I want a mullet so much !!!
(what the heck is a mullet?)

drumsonly2002

Ahhh... So, is this correct, DDrum Plate, DDrum, Drum Plus, DDrum AT, DDrum-2-3-4, Then DDrum 4 SE? Was looking at the picture of the unit, it is not a DDrum Plus, just Ddrum. So it must be the second unit in the series? I think the DDRum Plus looks much like the Ddrum, with the "plus" written over the Ddrum logo.
 I found this info: Ddrums first kit came in 1984 too. The ddrumRack and ddrumStudio were five piece kits with real head pads and a modular 'brain' with slots for eight sound modules, all mounted in a wooden 19" rack case.
  That is the unit less pads being shipped from the US. 1984 = 26 years old. Some info here, http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=886&Source=Archive&txtSearch=  
"Ddrums first kit came in 1984 too. The ddrumRack and ddrumStudio were five piece kits with real head pads and a modular 'brain' with slots for eight sound modules, all mounted in a wooden 19" rack case."  
My unit must be one of those less the pads. Gathering more information. DDrum were ahead of the times. I wasn't fond of Simmonds as they machine gunned and were awful for drum solos.

Easy to see that Drummit 5 is a combination of all the best features in a modern package.

hefu

Quote from: puttenvr on September 16, 2010, 06:26:31 PM
I want a mullet so much !!!
(what the heck is a mullet?)

If that is you in your avatar, you have a hard time ahead of you...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullet_(haircut)

drumsonly2002

Mel Gibson had a great mullet in Lethal Weapon. Google  Lethal Weapon hit "images" and you will be mezmorized by mullet memories. Some bands required one to have a mullet to join.