News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Custom Samples

Started by tsss27, August 10, 2019, 07:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsss27

Over the next few months (and years) I will have many cymbals and other drum/perc items passing through my hands, and am thinking of sampling them. I've already sampled all my personal acoustic gear and am in the process of selling most of it as the 2Box will be able to cover most of my sounds now. A lot of the sounds I've sampled so far (as well as many of those coming in the future) are currently not represented in the 2Box (Meinl Byzance and other darker Turkish-made cymbals, for example.)
So this got me thinking, is there a market for selling custom 2Box sounds? The website has many many drum kits, but cymbals are a bit thinner on the ground and most have a small amount of velocities compared to the drums. As a result I only have 1 or 2 of the factory cymbals saved.
If there is enough interest, the collection of cymbals available for the Drumit will increase by quite a bit over the next few years.
I will probably post a free cymbal soon to give an idea. It is a single-zone crash, because this particular cymbal does not have a good ride sound in my opinion. 44 velocity layers. Obviously anything for sale will have 3 zones (other than most stacks.)
Any thoughts are welcome.

ANGR77

Hi!

Just some small comments! I think it is good idea to start offer and sell samples of cymbals for 2box.

There is always a need for more sounds and 2box is a great system to add multilayer samples!

I launched together with my friend Jouni (who is behind all original sounds on 2box) a 1920s Ludwig Black Beauty Snare sample on my site about 2 years ago and it has until now been sold about 100 times...so you won’t get fat on the income...but it is fun! And maybe there are more sounds in the pipe from us :-) https://zourman.com/product/ludwig-black-beauty-1922-snare-sample/

We had an idea to sample Jounis Paiste 602 series of cymbals...great stuff! Another dream is to sample a series of concert TOMS from the seventies!

Just a sample production hint: Do a series of 16 hits going from loose to hard(5 sec between each hit) ...and do it 5 times. Then you will have a good library of about 80 layers...just perfect for the 2box Editor. (Which will index them based on velocity automatically)

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

edcito

I think the number of 2box users that use commercial custom samples is very very reduced, this forum has as of today 2056 members, of those I'd dare say only 500 pay for samples so I would see it more like a personal project to share with your friends, not to make a buck. The market for samples is saturated as well, you have for instance the guys over at drumwerks who sell individual samples for 3,99 a piece, and then you have the "big" plugins we all know (BFD3, SD3, AD2, NI, Chocolate Audio etc.) but they are very expensive and not every user can afford them and many have the misconception that creating sounds for the 2box is a complex and obscure task, hell, there are people who can't copy free samples to the module!

So, sample what you want and have fun, but don't expect me to buy any of it...

tsss27

Quote from: ANGR77 on August 11, 2019, 10:28:50 PM
Hi!

Just some small comments! I think it is good idea to start offer and sell samples of cymbals for 2box.

There is always a need for more sounds and 2box is a great system to add multilayer samples!

I launched together with my friend Jouni (who is behind all original sounds on 2box) a 1920s Ludwig Black Beauty Snare sample on my site about 2 years ago and it has until now been sold about 100 times...so you won’t get fat on the income...but it is fun! And maybe there are more sounds in the pipe from us :-) https://zourman.com/product/ludwig-black-beauty-1922-snare-sample/

We had an idea to sample Jounis Paiste 602 series of cymbals...great stuff! Another dream is to sample a series of concert TOMS from the seventies!

Just a sample production hint: Do a series of 16 hits going from loose to hard(5 sec between each hit) ...and do it 5 times. Then you will have a good library of about 80 layers...just perfect for the 2box Editor. (Which will index them based on velocity automatically)

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Concert toms, that I would definitely buy! I have some from a commercial library but they have a lot of hall reverb on them. Good for some things, but harder to put into most kits.

I have noticed that the default mapping based on volume is sometimes off. On some sounds quieter samples can end up above louder ones. So I always go through them after the file is made to see if I need to move any around in the velocities.map file. It seems to depend on the type of sound, things like wood blocks and cowbells always come out perfectly but cymbals, drums, etc can require more work.