News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2Box and Superior Drummer 2.0

Started by hefu, August 04, 2010, 09:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dagger

Have you changed any midi-settings in the 2box module (i.e. note numbers for the pad)? I have not done any changes in the module apart from the cc1 setting for pedal-control.

Dagger

I've also tested this setup in toontrack solo and it works very well.

Daniel

Quote from: Dagger on October 11, 2010, 07:32:56 PM
Have you changed any midi-settings in the 2box module (i.e. note numbers for the pad)? I have not done any changes in the module apart from the cc1 setting for pedal-control.

yeah maybe i have in the past. is there any simple way to reset the brain?

Dagger

Here is the midi-settings for the pads inte the 2-box module:

Hi-Hat=A2
Snare= F2 (rim F#2)
Kick= C2
Tom1= D3 (rim D#3)
Tom2= F3 (rim F#3)
Tom3= A3 (rim A#3)
Crash=E4
Ride=B4

Dagger

Here is a modified settings file with the correct mixer settings (stereo output) and both cc1 and cc4 for the hi-hat. I have also mapped the cowbell to the cup of the cymbal.

http://www.easy-share.com/1912598098/2BOX Superior Drummer.s20

This file is a SD "project file" open it via load/save in SD "load project"

Manfred

Quote from: MarkuZ on October 10, 2010, 09:48:43 AM
@Manfred

You mean the Layer Parameter right?
Yes it seems to work, but is this a real Round Robin?
For my opinion after Reading the Manual I ve thought that this only randomize between velocity layers and Not different Sounds for wach Layer!

Ok, now I understand what you mean. I think there is only randomizing between velocity layers and not different sounds for the same velocity layer. But if you use a large number of samples i guess it sounds similar.

There is another idea you could try. With the dsoundtool you can assign a certain velocity layer to each sample in a range from 0 to 360. So you could assign samples very close to each other. Let me try to explain with an example:

velocity     sound

49            weak1.wav
50            weak2.wav
51            weak3.wav

179          medium1.wav
180          medium2.wav
181          medium3.wav

349          heavyhit1.wav
350          heavyhit2.wav
351          heavyhit3.wav

In this very simple example the brain would choose one of the first 3 samples for weak hits, one of the last three samples for heavy hits and so on. With 90 examples for one sound you could create a sound with 30 "different" velocities and 3 sounds "per velocity". I hope you can understand what i mean. The description how to use the velocity option:

http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/manual/advanced.html

You can also try to assign the same velocity to several samples. But i guess this will not work. Just try or ask Louis  :D

Manfred

Daniel

it would be cool if you can add another cymbal and tom.

Dagger

Quote from: Danny on October 11, 2010, 08:22:32 PM
it would be cool if you can add another cymbal and tom.

This is very simple, just add a drum/cymbal in SD then right-click on the drum to highlight it. Remove all midi-settings for that drum and click "learn" then hit the corresponding pad on you 2box-kit (or type the value).

Daniel

Quote from: Dagger on October 11, 2010, 08:45:53 PM
This is very simple, just add a drum/cymbal in SD then right-click on the drum to highlight it. Remove all midi-settings for that drum and click "learn" then hit the corresponding pad on you 2box-kit (or type the value).

but i don´t have different zones then right? e.g. the bell?

Dagger

Quote from: Danny on October 11, 2010, 08:51:46 PM
but i don´t have different zones then right? e.g. the bell?

You do have differnet zones. Just chose the articulation (down in the right hand corner) and repeat the same procedure. Crash-cymbals in SD don't have a sample for the bell, but all rides does. (that's why i have mapped the cowbell to the bell of crash1)

MarkuZ

Great work dagger, thanx a lot!!
It works so far, some minor problems, I'll see. :rock: :rock:

Quote from: Dagger on October 11, 2010, 09:37:40 PM
You do have differnet zones. Just chose the articulation (down in the right hand corner) and repeat the same procedure. Crash-cymbals in SD don't have a sample for the bell, but all rides does. (that's why i have mapped the cowbell to the bell of crash1)

MarkuZ

Thank you very much Manfred for your complex explanation.
I think, I understand what you mean. It's a good workaround I think, I'll try it.
Now I am quite happy with my new SD Midi Mapping :-).
Regards Markus :)

Quote from: Manfred on October 11, 2010, 08:01:42 PM
Ok, now I understand what you mean. I think there is only randomizing between velocity layers and not different sounds for the same velocity layer. But if you use a large number of samples i guess it sounds similar.

There is another idea you could try. With the dsoundtool you can assign a certain velocity layer to each sample in a range from 0 to 360. So you could assign samples very close to each other. Let me try to explain with an example:

velocity     sound

49            weak1.wav
50            weak2.wav
51            weak3.wav

179          medium1.wav
180          medium2.wav
181          medium3.wav

349          heavyhit1.wav
350          heavyhit2.wav
351          heavyhit3.wav

In this very simple example the brain would choose one of the first 3 samples for weak hits, one of the last three samples for heavy hits and so on. With 90 examples for one sound you could create a sound with 30 "different" velocities and 3 sounds "per velocity". I hope you can understand what i mean. The description how to use the velocity option:

http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/manual/advanced.html

You can also try to assign the same velocity to several samples. But i guess this will not work. Just try or ask Louis  :D

Manfred

STEPHANELW

:D Thanks a lot Dagger , it works fine

Daniel

Quote from: hefu on October 02, 2010, 07:48:30 PM
I found it to very easy to map, and, I will do mapping for all the Toontrack kits in the near future, and it will be downloadable from the 2box page, I guess.

just wanted to know how far you are in the progress? i would love to hear the "evil drums" addon correctly mapped.

well, actually its not that hard, to only thing i dont get is the hi hat...

Frankly

Now i've bought and installed the Evil Drums as well. I really like the sounds but I can't seem to map my 2box hi-hat correctly. I try to reset the midi for my hi-hat, click on Learn in SD and hit the hi-hat in different ways (full open, closed, pedal etc) but there's no dynamics when for example it is semi-open. I've also tried to change the midi-notes for the hi-hat sounds. It's getting better but it feels very "stiff".
Any ideas how to map the hi-hat correctly to get as real as possible?
Thx!