News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Suggestions to improve cymbal samples, or where to get them

Started by lesmay, July 17, 2019, 05:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lesmay

I've had my Drumit 3 for about a year now, but I've gradually got frustrated by the cymbal sounds and triggering. It seems impossible to do swells on the crash samples its almost as if there is too much choice of sample for the module, it's not miss hitting but not smooth. I can get thet on my back up Roland TD25 but the sounds arn't very nice. Are there ways to improve the problem or better samples that people know of?
P.S. The cymbals I am using are Jobeky.

tsss27

This is actually due to a lack of choices, not too many. The drums have many velocities, sometimes up to 99 or more. The cymbals sometimes have only 10 or 20. I think 1 or 2 have 30. This is a huge gap between the drum samples and it is surprising due to the detail of many of the drums that the cymbals would be half-finished.
Your alternative option is basically to make your own by  using other sample libraries. Expansions installed for BFD2, as well as the standalone library Natural Drum Kit, are easily converted to the 2Box format as they are .wav files. Many other drum libraries can also be converted with a tool called SDSE.
I plan on releasing / selling samples I have recorded, but this is probably a long way down the road.

edcito

The amount of samples is only half of the equation, the module needs a special cymbal swell engine or algorithm, as far as I know 2box doesn't have one so it doesn't matter if you have a dsnd with 99 samples, they will be all over the place anyway...

The best cymbal swells are found in a roland module, no surprises there, followed by ATV, when I had the mimic pro it sucked as well for cymbal swells, now I see they introduced one "cymbal swell engine" recently in a software update so that may have changed.

welshsteve

I can confirm the cymbal swell algorithm on mimic works very well. That said, I never really had a problem with the wells on the 2box. However when being triggered by a pad which has a switch on the edge which requires a little force to be activated (if the switch is underneath the cymbal like on jobeky LV and Brass cymbals) a natural swell wasn’t possible. On the 2box cymbals it was fine for me. As they’re cymbals have prongs underneath the rubber surface but on the top of the plate so the lightest tap would give you edge trigger.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

tsss27

I'm not sure what these cymbal swell engines are supposed to do. I ran a bunch of mallet hit samples in a file to test how they would sound if someone tried to roll on them and it worked fine. As far as I can tell the only thing they do is cut off the previously playing samples when you hit a new one, and I am pretty sure the 2Box has a function for this hidden somewhere. But even if it doesn't, like I said I tested this when triggering a huge roll via MIDI and it sounded great, not cutting off any samples.