News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Anemic floor tom

Started by Cobaltdrive, June 22, 2019, 10:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobaltdrive

I practice, rehearse and gig out running my 2box 5 out to a Behringer Xenyx X 1222 mixer, then through a Roland PM-3 which I use also use onstage as my monitor. This has been a great, consistent system. I love that the satellite speakers are mounted below my ride and forward crash so the sounds project back to me as if I'm playing an acoustic kit. In an aural sense the cymbals and toms are in the "right place". Then 2 lines out from my mixer go to the band's mixer then on to a PA.

Very occasionally I'll add my Roland TD-700 and place it beside me onstage if we're playing a larger venue or outdoors. I hooked up my TD-700 in place of my PM-3 to make sure it's functioning properly and was surprised at how wimpy all of my floor toms sound on all of my kits including a 16" eNerd floor tom that should be almost as deep as a kick. The kicks all sound fine and rollover to the 15" woofer in the cabinet nicely but none of the floor toms do so. It's as if you'r'e hearing only the highs and mids on that instrument. The other toms resonate nicely and sound "authentic".

When I played the floor toms again using only the PM-3 I realized they're kind of wimpy there too. This may have been masked because I also use a Butt Thumper to get that resonate feedback and don't play at very high volumes when practicing or rehearsing.

There's not a lot that I can do in my Behringer mixer as all 5 toms are on 2 channels so any tweaks to make the floor tom sound better would throw the other toms off.

Anybody have any ideas?

welshsteve

You can apply eq but to only the floor toms, it's done by setting the eq to buss mode or something, excuse my lack of correct terminology. I don't have the module to hand to verify this. I will have a look later on and will report back.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Cobaltdrive