News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

I'm gonna try a JBL EON 15 G2

Started by Perico, July 25, 2010, 04:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perico

Hi,
I will probably try soon a second hand JBL EON 15 G2 at somebody's home.
First question : if I just go at seller's home with just the Drumit5 module and connect it to the JBL, would it be possible to press the different buttons (snare, cymb, tom..) and make everything runs correctly?
Second one : I guess I just have to use the OUT1 (or another one) but could someone tell me if I have something to set in the module to ear every pads using just one Output. I just want to avoid any mistake from me.
Sorry if those questions looks very naive but I'm really a beginner in sound's world.
Thx.

puttenvr

Perhaps, for a quick test like this, using the headphone output will suffice.
All instruments already are assigned to the headphone output, so you don't need to change settings

But if you want to
- press unit
- cursor down to the UNIT-NODE page
- hit a drum and change BUS to 1+2
- do this for all drums

You can hear a sound by pressing the CHANNEL buttons

spoenk

pan all the sounds to the left, if you are using out one to one mono line input of the eon ... as the eon 15 g2 has two line inputs, use a stere-to-two-mono cable if you are using the headphone out ... or two line cables to use out 1&2 ...

Perico

Thanks for your answers!
@ puttenvr : what kind of cable I have to use if I use the headphone output? Do I have to use one or two inputs of the eon 15 g2? I have changed the BUS for every drums, thanks! But why I have to choose 1+2 and not just 1? I'm a real beginner! doh!!!
@ spoenk : can you explain more precisely the first solution for which you ask to pan all sounds to the left. What do you mean by "if you are using out one to one mono line input of the eon ... as the eon 15 g2 has two line inputs"? Is it to use two mono cables and use outputs 1 and 2 of the module and both inputs of the eon?
Because if it's what you mean, is it not the same thing than using "two line cables to use out 1&2"
For the headphone output I think I have understand! (if you can confirm puttenvr it would be nice for me).
I hope I'm not boring you too much with my stupid questions!!! :-\

Baby Samus

Hi Perico - good luck with that speaker hope it does the job, would love to hear what you think of it.

I have just bought two QSC K12 powered speakers, which are in turn chained to 2 x DB subs for low end support - a hell of a backline  ;D

My experience so far is that even with all that power, work is needed for the 2Box to really shine so don't expect the JBL to sound jaw dropping straight away.  My first tip would be to alter your kit sounds so that the delay is between 1.3 and 2 seconds.  This helps greatly as so many notes are played in fills etc and the speaker has less work to do - cutting those notes off earlier and letting the sound reverberate naturally works better.  I also have found that sounds with less ambience on them work best to give a punchier sound.  Also changed all the velocity curves to Neg1 or 2 - they don't sound right in my headphones but through the speakers it seems a more accurate curve.

Hi-hats being washed also eat up a lot of the speakers time, so I am not sure whether to go with real hats at this moment.  As with all things it will take me a while to get it set up perfect but thats life!

This is of course before it even gets to the mixing desk or has any EQ/Compression put on!  Perhaps we should have an area for live use of the 2Box, where we can talk about these things like speakers/subs/mixing/eq etc and get some concensus with other forum users on how best to amplify the kit?

puttenvr

Quoteand get some concensus with other forum users on how best to amplify the kit?

I tried ...
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,8.0.html

spoenk

the sounds of the 2box are stereo samples AND -within the kits- they have certain positions in the panorama from left to right, if you use only one speaker and one output to monitor the 2box, stereo positions are useless and only result in different levels according to pan position ... things panned to the right will not come out of out1 (but out2), sounds panned halfway to the right will have less volume on out1 than on out2 ... but without changing too many settings on the 2box brain, you can use either the headphone out or out 1&2 and connect both outputs to the two line inputs of the speaker

Perico

Thanks spoenk it's clearer now in my little brain.
I would like to buy both speakers (because the guy has 2) but it's a little bit over budget!
Anyway I'll try with one and I'll heard!
@ baby samus : I'll try to tune sounds if I have time.
Thanks again to everybody!

Baby Samus

Quote from: puttenvr on July 25, 2010, 04:23:08 PM
I tried ...
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,8.0.html

Yeah I saw this, very good information but it is more general advice than what I was meaning.  I just thought an area where people can post advice and ask about specific problems regarding their personal experiences using the 2Box live/amplifying the 2Box specifically.  Module settings, sounds, samples types, etc.  Rather than having just one post with some general advice, it would be good to have a new board to gather these posts in...

fishmonkey

Quote from: Baby Samus on July 25, 2010, 01:53:10 PMMy first tip would be to alter your kit sounds so that the delay is between 1.3 and 2 seconds.

do you mean "decay"?

it's actually a good idea to check the decay settings, as with the new firmware 1.10 some of the kits now have infinite decay set on all sounds.

Baby Samus

Quote from: fishmonkey on July 26, 2010, 12:21:46 AM
do you mean "decay"?

it's actually a good idea to check the decay settings, as with the new firmware 1.10 some of the kits now have infinite decay set on all sounds.

Yes sorry its been a long day!

puttenvr

Quote... but without changing too many settings on the 2box brain, you can use either the headphone out
That's why I said that ...

QuoteRather than having just one post with some general advice, it would be good to have a new board to gather these posts in...
Agree. Perhaps the moderator can make a new section for it
(and skip a few other sections)

Perico

Well well well!
I'm a real dumb concerning audio!!! ;D
I have tested the JBL Eon 15 G2. That sounds good, no problem! But that's big!
In fact for me I just need speakers to practice at home without headphones.
I don't need a lot of power but just something which sounds good and I'm able to afford a good quality product if needed.
So is something like studio monitoring speakers good enough? like those Mackie's : http://www.mackie.com/products/hrmk2series/index.html
Or is it better to take a smaller (12", 10") powered speaker like a SRM450 or SRM350 from Mackie or other brand?
Or a special edrum amp : Roland, Yamaha..?
To do it shortly what kind of small speakers sounds better for a home use.
Thank again and forgive a poor beginner!  :-\

puttenvr

Perico

I have read your post Puttenvr, and learned a lot.  :rock:
But I just want to have some feedbacks if someone have tried a home use setup with speakers.
So if you have any feedbacks or suggestions it would be appreciated.
Thanks!