News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Going from 2Box to Hybrid

Started by 1781cc, April 16, 2019, 02:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1781cc

Hi all,

Just sounding off at the moment for ideas, at the moment I have a 2box kit, modified to what I thought suited me but I still hanker after a physical drum kit, aesthetics and all that, but, the practicalities of the 2box are there. So, I listed my kit for sale, but I am considering other options and thought I would get other peoples input to see if viable.

I was planning to sell the kit, then buy an acoustic one with stands, etc, mesh head it, drum triggers and module with L80 cymbals for a sort of hybrid setup. But then I got to thinking... break it, keep the brain and hook it up to the ddrum triggers on the acoustic kit with mesh heads, but buy a shell pack instead, no hardware, aside from a HH stand and snare stand, in doing so, reuse the rack and cymbal holders, strip the ball joints out of the tom holders and mix the two, this would allow me to sell off the 2Box cymbals, toms and bass drum/snare plus some hardware.

Thoughts? do the ddrum triggers play nicely with the drumit5 module or not? can the 2box rack handle the weight of the toms?

Looking forward to some constructive input  :rock:

edtc

i would sell the rack , toms kick and 2box harware separately , and buy a second hand drumkit with hardware .
You can find a nice middle range kit with cymbals for 300/600 dollars .

Then , you sell the acoustic cymbals , and with the money , you buy a second hand Roland cy15r + a zourman box  for roland 3 zone ride .

I dont recommend external triggers like ddrum or trigit ... Internal ones are more reliable ...
Wronka , trigerra or jobeky have simple 30/50 dollar internal triggers .
And buy a set of good 2 or 3 ply mesh heads ...

If you take your time and find good deals , this will cost you little money .

1781cc

Thanks for the opinion, I’ve kinda taken some of your advice and bought an acoustic shell pack, I have the 2box up for sale and if it sells at a good price I’ll get hardware and then look to fit internal triggers and maybe the new Drumit brain, possibly the 3

However, before then I’m going to test the acoustic kit mounted to the 2box rack, the Vol volume cymbals and try to trigger the brain with a borrowed set of ddrums first to see how it’ll work.

I didn’t set out to buy the kit I bought (Mapex Armory Aquamarine 6 piece in rock sizes) but fell in love with the look of it, interestingly, I went back a second time after seeing it and tested a mapex tom holder ball in the two box ball clamp and it’s a perfect fit, I kid you not, like the clamps and mapex were meant for each other... I’ll test it when it arrives and post pics, but if it works I’ll keep all except cymbals and pads and move forward that way

johnnykrisma

Funny re: ball mount, I actually really dislike the 2Box hardware, I replaced my rack with 2 DW tom stands and because of the weird tom mounts of the 2box tom mounts, I did the opposite and put the Drumit5 tom balls into the socket on the DW stands. Works a charm!

1781cc

I love how we all come up with solutions to solving these issues so we can customise kits how we want them.

Slightly off topic, but not, I have a PM-10 Roland monitor that really doesn't do the 2box justice, the sound through headphones is sublime, but via the amp, not so much, so I am thinking that its because of the headphone out being amplified. So, is it a better to get a small 6. channel mixer and route the outputs from the 2box in channels via the mixer and blend into a separate feed into the PM10? or is that convoluting things? I have 6 acoustics coming and I just bought a set of 5 trigits on eBay plus an extra one - cymbals will be L80 variants all round.

Is it easier to just route them all through one channel and mono into the PM10? just want to preserve quality a bit more

edtc

Quote from: 1781cc on April 23, 2019, 12:35:48 PM
  I have a PM-10 Roland monitor that really doesn't do the 2box justice, the sound through headphones is sublime, but via the amp, not so much, so I am thinking that its because of the headphone out being amplified. So, is it a better to get a small 6. channel mixer and route the outputs from the 2box in channels via the mixer and blend into a separate feed into the PM10? or is that convoluting things? I have 6 acoustics coming and I just bought a set of 5 trigits on eBay plus an extra one - cymbals will be L80 variants all round.

Is it easier to just route them all through one channel and mono into the PM10? just want to preserve quality a bit more

If it sounds shitty , it s just because it s a 30w shitty amp ...

welshsteve

Also take into account. when you mono up rich stereo samples, it's always gonna lose something in fidelity.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

1781cc

I have a set of rockit 5s with the 10” rockit sub so I’ll experiment with that and see how that comes to life then. New kit arrived today along with the triggers, mixer and a few other bits, once the mesh heads are here I can start assembly. Also opted for the 32gb extender so that should make a big difference to available sounds.

Tested the 2box rack with the mapex top ball and test hung a drum off it, all works perfectly, excited to build this now

Itsme

ive got the full 2box MKII kit and also a Tama Silverstar 18" kit with mesh heads and 2box Triggers, the 10" amp is not really of any use even for practice , I use a 15" keyboard amp and KCW1 sub for practice in my studio and small pub gigs, for larger rooms i couple this setup with two Wharfdale EVP-X15 powered monitors and two 15" sub bins powered by the EVPs, works fine in small clubs,, anything bigger i just line out to the PA,  A 15 keyboard amp or one EVP would be better for a more realistic sound from your kit.

1781cc

Quick update, aside from a missing 12" Evans roundoff head which the supplier forgot to post with my order, the new kit is setup on the 2box rack and I am reusing hardware - still not 100% on the setup of this but will play and see where I end up.

DDrum triggers, mesh heads and the 2Box brain just all worked straight away, sensitivity is right on everything except the bass drum because the left beater isn't smack in the middle its a little less attacky on the sound as opposed to the right beater - any tips?

edtc

Quote from: 1781cc on May 02, 2019, 01:43:14 PM
  sensitivity is right on everything except the bass drum because the left beater isn't smack in the middle its a little less attacky on the sound as opposed to the right beater - any tips?

simply set your beaters to be at the same distance from the middle , and be carefull to put the trigger at 12'o'clock so both beaters are at the exact same distance ...

1781cc

Ahhh, so obvious- it’s not fitted at 12, more like 1 o’clock so will play with that, thanks!