News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Replacing Hi hat clutch

Started by p929, July 23, 2010, 05:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p929

Hi everyone,

As many of you, I decided to upgrade my hardware. Therefore, I got Mapex  cymbals & hihat stands, and the new amazing falcon pedal.

Anyway, As I wasn't 100% convinced with the default Hihat clutch, I wanted to replace it but I couldn't find any instruction about it here. So I want to share how I did it.  I tried to change the hithat clutch as shown in the pictures, i.e.:

1) loose the three screws on the bottom plate
2) take out the original clutch
3) 'create' a cover for the top (I did it easily with a PVC plate, a emery and a drill)
4) Insert the new clutch and lock it

Easy peasy.....but, I now I have some issues with the calibration of the hithat, sometimes it does it smoothly, but mostly it refuses and show the "NoChg" message..any idea?..did I do it wrong?

spoenk

the hihat open/closed controlling works with a magnet ... in your last picture one can see that part of the new clutch sits where the magnet is supposed to go ...

p929

Quote from: spoenk on July 23, 2010, 05:55:25 PM
the hihat open/closed controlling works with a magnet ... in your last picture one can see that part of the new clutch sits where the magnet is supposed to go ...

Yeah, I just realized about it...

but you know the funny part is that if I try to calibrate it removing the clutch and leaving the plastic part it works perfectly. It means that the plastic part doesn't affect it. But once I place and tied the metallic clutch it doesn't let me calibrate it anymore...I suspect that there should be some kind of interference between both materials and the magnet, i.e. the aluminium of the bottom plate and the steel of the clutch..

So, if it isn't supposed to be like this, how should I place the new clutch?

p929

Problem solved (so far)...

After several trial-and-error tests, I found out that the main thing is that actually the plastic nut was too thick, and that there were no interference from the steel of the clutch...so I ended up by tied the bottom plate with the thinner nut that is supposed to be tiding up the upper hat. and voila....

so far so good, Thanks spoenk for the tip.

p929

Hmmmm...

After some time I was not convinced with this way to do it, so I place the 'original' clutch on. The problem is that now I want to use some clutch, which allows me to close it easily when playing the double bass, something like this:

Any idea how to do it?

puttenvr

Don't think it will work since the clutch and input socket on the 2Box is one whole
For a drop clutch you nee to remove the 2box clutch
Perhaps finding a programmed closed hihat sounds is much easier.

p929

whatta mistake from 2box!

The simplest solution is to buy a cheap mono cymbal, and assign a close sound. I don't use double bass to often tough. However, what will happen when the 2box clutch fails? (actually I feel it's quite likely) Should we buy a new whole Hi Hat??   

fishmonkey

the simplest solution is to have a brick nearby that you can drop on the pedal.

edtc

Quote from: fishmonkey on January 04, 2011, 12:02:40 PM
the simplest solution is to have a brick nearby that you can drop on the pedal.

nice and economic solution ... yes , but do not drop it too hard on it!! :)

Last month i noticed this on french drummer Richard Kolinka's kit :
http://www.thomann.de/fr/tama_hh905xp_iron_cobra_clutch.htm
"The Cobra Clutch is a completely new instrument based on an entirely different concept than the drop clutch or auxiliary hi-hats. Instead of activating the hi-hats with the hands and simply letting the top hi-hat drop on the bottom hi-hat, the Cobra Clutch activates the hi-hats the way they should be: with the feet and with control. Plus, the Cobra Clutch has something else a drop clutch doesn't-you can set how closed or open you want the hi-hats cymbals positioned."
It is a bit expensive but it works well !

another cheap option is to train a little dog , so he sits on the pedal when you whistle  ;)

fishmonkey

for something more exotic, you could train a baby hippo.

edtc

Quote from: fishmonkey on January 04, 2011, 12:59:06 PM
for something more exotic, you could train a baby hippo.

A baby hippo is fine , but only with the MK2 rack...;)

there is also this stuff Manfred posted on an electronic clutch ...http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,592.0.html