News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DIY cable - Cymbal wiring? Drummit 3

Started by Dobly, March 10, 2019, 09:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobly

I understand that all the plugs on the back of the D3, are stereo.

So, take for example one of the the cymbals.. 1A and 1B

1A might have the bow and edge sounds on it.

1B might have the bell sounds... but what else? Why is 1B stereo if you can't assign a sound to it? Or can you? Maybe I have missed this. But can you assign sounds to both lines on a stereo plug.

If 1B can only use 1 sounds. Say the TIP on the plug, then why make a stereo plug on the cable I am making?

ANGR77

Good question!

The DI3 can handle up to three sounds/triggers on some of the channels like the snare or the three cymbal channels.

Most often a 3 zone ride is using a piezo/switch/switch implementation. For an example the Roland cy-15R which have two stereo outputs...piezo + edge switch on one connector...and piezo + bell switch on the other connector. But in the case of CY-15R...it has only one master piezo...so the piezo signal is sent twice to the di3 on A and B channels.

Looking on a Yamaha ride cymbal, they are sending piezo, switch, switch on one stereo channel...using a 10k resistor to differentiate the switch signals and through this create three triggers..

So basically the DI3 design can only handle up tp three sounds per channel. The x B inputs is just a part of a channel. So the maximum are 3 sounds per logical channel...

But I agree that it would have been nice if DI3 could have added a 4th sound slot on each logical channel...but it is not like that!

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Dobly

Quote from: ANGR77 on March 10, 2019, 04:39:03 PM
The DI3 can handle up to three sounds/triggers on some of the channels like the snare or the three cymbal channels.

The 'snare' can have 3 sounds/triggers? What is an example of this? I recall on my old DM10 module I could use velocity switching between rim shots and cross stick sounds. Is this what you mean?

Quote from: ANGR77 on March 10, 2019, 04:39:03 PM
But in the case of CY-15R...it has only one master piezo...so the piezo signal is sent twice to the di3 on A and B channels.

The cymbal I am building is like you quoted above, i think.. Still learning/planning the cymbal build.

I'm getting the design from  this link on vdrum forum.

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced/diy/1122419-diy-3-zone-cymbal-v2
(you'll need to log in to see the images)

ANGR77

Quote from: Dobly on March 10, 2019, 10:00:59 PM
The 'snare' can have 3 sounds/triggers? What is an example of this? I recall on my old DM10 module I could use velocity switching between rim shots and cross stick sounds. Is this what you mean?

A plain Yamaha 3 zone pad like XP120T etc will do the trick...it is built like their 3 zone cymbals.

Here is one example: https://goo.gl/images/oZBfKt
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com