News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Storage Expansion Mod

Started by nohumanape, January 09, 2019, 06:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nohumanape

Hey! I'm new here. Just received my DrumIt5 module, which is my first foray into eDrumming. I've worked in music retail in years past, which has allowed me to get a fair amount of hands on time with edrum, but this is the first time that I have decided to jump into a set up of my own.

So my hands on time with the DrumIt5 has been limited. However, I am blown away by what the sample editor allows me to do. And while I have a pretty substantial sample library to input, I would ultimately like to make a few of my own kits in the studio.

Which leads me to my question. Storage. The onboard 4GB isn't necessarily bad--given the drag and drop nature of the desktop setup. However I'm curious about this storage expansion mod that I've heard about.

I'm well aware of the tutorials out there, but my question has to do with exterior nature of the mod. It appears as if there is just an SD Card slot inside the unit, but mods suggest an external card reader, via data ribbon. I wouldn't need that. So is it simply possible to just plug in a 32GB SD Card, in place of the 4GB card that comes stock? Because I would gladly do that.

Thanks!

edcito

Welcome to the forum, yes you can do that, most of us put an external extender card for the convenience of copying files quicker between the SD card and the computer because the usb in the module is painfully slow, for instance copying the 4gb from the module to the computer takes about 1 hour, whereas copying files directly in the computer it  takes, in my case, around 12 min. So if you don't plan to copy files in the future and fill the card with 32gb do it in your computer before you put the card in the module.

paulf707

I was under the impression that the internal card reader or the USB connection weren't compatible with the 32gb cards, and using the inbuilt USB with a 32gb card would corrupt it?

edcito

Quote from: paulf707 on January 09, 2019, 08:57:12 AM
I was under the impression that the internal card reader or the USB connection weren't compatible with the 32gb cards, and using the inbuilt USB with a 32gb card would corrupt it?
No, it's no problem to put a bigger card, the module will work, what will corrupt it is if you put an extender and plug the module via USB again to your computer.

nohumanape

Quote from: edcito on January 09, 2019, 07:58:20 AM
Welcome to the forum, yes you can do that, most of us put an external extender card for the convenience of copying files quicker between the SD card and the computer because the usb in the module is painfully slow, for instance copying the 4gb from the module to the computer takes about 1 hour, whereas with the external adapter it  takes, in my case, around 12 min. So if you don't plan to copy files in the future and fill the card with 32gb do it in your computer before you put the card in the module.
Man, thanks for the response! Are there any particular SD Cards that people recommend, in terms of speed, reliability and performance? I think I have an extra Samsung. Also, does it max out at 32GB?

Anyway, this is fantastic news, because I've practically already filled the stock 4GB. Upgrading to 32GB will be a huge convenience.

Oh, and I need to clarify, I actually have a DrumIt 3. It still confuses me that they moved backwards numerically. But yeah, maybe that changed things a little?

edcito

Get a basic one, don't buy the super extra expensive with 100mbs or extreme,pro, turbo in the name, a basic sandisk 80Mbs will do the job. You can put a 64gb but you will get some latency and the module will take longer to boot since it scans the card for the OS and files needed to boot, so I would recommend not putting a bigger card than 32gb. The module won't be able to handle it. In the end, just do the mod and change cards on the fly...

The drumit 3 and 5 are basically the same in the usb area, nothing changed.

nohumanape

Quote from: edcito on January 09, 2019, 05:01:27 PM
Get a basic one, don't buy the super extra expensive with 100mbs or extreme,pro, turbo in the name, a basic sandisk 80Mbs will do the job. You can put a 64gb but you will get some latency and the module will take longer to boot since it scans the card for the OS and files needed to boot, so I would recommend not putting a bigger card than 32gb. The module won't be able to handle it. In the end, just do the mod and change cards on the fly...

The drumit 3 and 5 are basically the same in the usb area, nothing changed.
Good to know thanks!

welshsteve

Just to iterate this topic. If you put 32gig into the module without the ribbon extender, DO NOT use USB mode ever. Which means you'll have to load all the sounds onto the card first. But after any changes you'll make will need you to take the card out (dismantling the unit to do so in order to obtain the card) to do on your computer.
Seriously, the card extender is the best way to go. It's little money and will make things a lot simpler when you want to file exchanges. Talk to Jman here, he'll hook you up!
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

ANGR77

I just would like to add that with the right 64GB card...both the Drumits work great!

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

nohumanape

Quote from: welshsteve on January 09, 2019, 10:58:54 PM
Just to iterate this topic. If you put 32gig into the module without the ribbon extender, DO NOT use USB mode ever. Which means you'll have to load all the sounds onto the card first. But after any changes you'll make will need you to take the card out (dismantling the unit to do so in order to obtain the card) to do on your computer.
Seriously, the card extender is the best way to go. It's little money and will make things a lot simpler when you want to file exchanges. Talk to Jman here, he'll hook you up!
Thanks for all the help. I did go ahead and order the card AND extender.  So does this mean that I should load everything onto the card from my PC's SD reader, rather than connecting the DrumIt via USB?

But I'm pretty excited for the external USB option via extender, because it will allow me to save specific kits for specific live projects on specific SD cards (seeing as they are only $6-$8 each).

Looking forward to getting my home eDrum Kit assembled and my live triggered kit set up. This is a new world for me. Very exciting!

JRage

Quote from: ANGR77 on January 10, 2019, 12:37:12 AM
I just would like to add that with the right 64GB card...both the Drumits work great!

Could you name any specific 64GB card?  ::)
Posted by some mistake.

welshsteve

Quote from: nohumanape on January 10, 2019, 01:30:35 AM
Thanks for all the help. I did go ahead and order the card AND extender.  So does this mean that I should load everything onto the card from my PC's SD reader, rather than connecting the DrumIt via USB?

But I'm pretty excited for the external USB option via extender, because it will allow me to save specific kits for specific live projects on specific SD cards (seeing as they are only $6-$8 each).

Looking forward to getting my home eDrum Kit assembled and my live triggered kit set up. This is a new world for me. Very exciting!

yes, take the card out of extender and put into your pc sd card reader to do any changes. its faster and doesn't require the module turned on in usb mode.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

nohumanape

Quote from: welshsteve on January 11, 2019, 11:42:01 AM
yes, take the card out of extender and put into your pc sd card reader to do any changes. its faster and doesn't require the module turned on in usb mode.
Good to know. Thank you.

ANGR77

Quote from: JRage on January 10, 2019, 03:30:04 PM
Could you name any specific 64GB card?  ::)

I have been using the ATP 64GB (same manufacturer as the original 4GB)

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

JRage

Quote from: ANGR77 on January 11, 2019, 09:03:19 PM
I have been using the ATP 64GB (same manufacturer as the original 4GB)

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Is it this: ATP 64GB MLC SDXC Card Industrial ?
https://cy.rsdelivers.com/product/atp/af64gsd3-wadim/atp-64gb-mlc-sdxc-card-industrial/1465575
Posted by some mistake.