News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Workflow

Started by Dobly, December 10, 2018, 04:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobly

Edit: I was using xcopy for this, but xcopy does not delete a file from the destination if you have deleted it from your source. Robocopy does, so I modified the text below to reflect this better option.

Having done the 32gb jman update to my D3 module I need to remove the SD card from the D3 and edit it via an SDCard reader connected to my PC.

No drama there.. But i got me thinking.. As I should have a backup of my SD card I really should edit the backup on my PC, then move it to the SD Cards.. Doubly so for me as i have 2 SD cards.

So for me, the files on my laptop are THE source of truth. They get edited and then copied one or both sdcards..

The last piece of this puzzle is I have 16gb of stuff on my setup. I don't want to copy back 16gb every time I edit the sounds.. That is were robocopy comes in.

Make a .bat file. In there add this...

@echo off
robocopy d:\Drumit3 f: /mir
pause

What does this do?
@echo off suppresses some output. (I learned that so long ago I just put it by default)

The robocopy line has folder I have my back up (d:\Drumit3). Change this to your folder on your PC.  Put the entire path in double quotes if you have spaces in your path.

Example:

robocopy "c:\My Drumit Backup" f: /mir

Then f:  On my PC the SDcard comes up as f. Put your SDcard letter here..

Finally the switch. /mir

This tells robocopy to mirror what is on the source, to the destination. New and edited files are added. And best of all, files you have deleted from your source get deleted from the destination.

All this might be obvious to some.. But for others you may find this useful.

For me this allows me to edit my kits with just the laptop, on the train or a lunch time without needing my SDCards.  If i edit my kits during the day I can just plug in my sdcard later and run my .bat file.

paulf707

Yep, I was doing something similar.... However i do occasionally edit the kits on the 2box while playing and then have to remember which way to copy the files (from SD to PC or PC to SD), and.if you find you've edited both then that takes some unravelling!
One thing to watch out for - the drumit5 does not have an internal clock, and so never updates the 'file modified' date on the files on the SD cards. I tried using a 2way sync process but found this was a problem as DOS has no idea if the SD files have been updated (as the date/time doesn't change).

Dobly

Quote from: paulf707 on December 10, 2018, 06:14:54 AM
Yep, I was doing something similar.... However i do occasionally edit the kits on the 2box while playing and then have to remember which way to copy the files (from SD to PC or PC to SD), and.if you find you've edited both then that takes some unravelling!
One thing to watch out for - the drumit5 does not have an internal clock, and so never updates the 'file modified' date on the files on the SD cards. I tried using a 2way sync process but found this was a problem as DOS has no idea if the SD files have been updated (as the date/time doesn't change).

Thanks for the heads up..  I'll look out for that one and try not to edit both. I get over 2 hours a day on the train getting to and from work. I should have time to get the kits right (famous last words as between songs at the next gig I frantically try to update and sd card before the next set starts. :))