News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

drumit three + atv adrums snare

Started by motte, December 07, 2018, 11:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motte

hi folks

i am new here and just got a drumit three

i have a atv ad5 and wanted to replace it with the drumit three because atv has only a stereo output and no possibility to edit sounds (boomy toms, decay..). Live this is not sufficient..

my drums are Acoustic drums with meshheads and 2box and intrigg triggers and a Roland BT-1 and a atv adrums snare. Cymbals are not electric. All drums work fine with the drumit..

But i can´t get a good solution for drumit and atv snare.

Tried a lot, differnt Types PadPm Rim, AcTR... with threshhold to min and some gain it is somehow ok but never get near to the feeling and sensitivity of adrum snare and adrum module .

for crosstick i read in other posts that separation of the three sounds Snare Rimshot Rimclick on a 2-Zone pad works the best with splitting sounds and putting click on a Roland BT-1 ..

is there no other chance, for example on the atv ad5 even a cheap alesis 2-Zone snare works good managing all three sounds, a Roland snare better and the atv ad5 nearly perfect..

Perhaps can you give me some tipps how to set the snare , i tried a lot but am somehow disappointed

and if it comes to sound quality, the atv snaresounds are way better as the stock-sounds, perhaps i try some VST-snares.

or i have to stick with the atv-module only for snare, but that would be overkill to use 2 modules..

hope you can help

thx

edcito

Welcome to the forum,
I've had the Drumit 3 for 9 months now, I've played it with Roland, Alesis Strike and now with AtoE diamond side triggers, of all the above, the best playing experience, wether you like it or not, has been with Roland Pads, the Alesis strike 14" snare had some tradeoffs, the separation between rim and head was good but the playing dynamics wasn't all that good, now with the 14 A to E snare it has also some tradeoffs, double triggers with low threshold, bad dynamics if you increase the gain or increase threshold, clean rolls are not possible 100%, I've got it now dialed in with threshold of -45 and sensitivity of 0, which means I have to increase the volume to hear it on par with the other drums and cymbals.

All that said, I guess is the same situation with the ATV snare, you have to compromise dynamics with playability, if you play jazz or rock you will notice it more, if you play metal and blast beats you wont care about it, but I like for the stick to produce a sound until the last rebound...

The manual says don't give up if your pad is not listed in the compatibility list, but I've spent many hours trying and testing the snares, always with the same result: reduce threshold, increase sensitivity = double triggers, reduce sensitivity, increase threshold, no ghost notes... If you contact 2box they will reply they have not tested that pad, in your case the ATV snare, so they cannot give you any advice but to keep playing with the settings...

But there comes the time when you spend more time tweaking the module than playing, that's the point when you say "ok I give up, back to roland or mimic or alesis or whatever..." or you just decide to live with it and say to yourself "I cannot expect that this electronic snare responds like an acoustic one (or like a roland one...)"

What is your issue exactly? Head-Rim separation? in that case the LXTR setting works really good and solves the issue. Or is the response and sensitivity or double triggers?

motte

Thanks for your answer, hoped for an advice like ... try settings abc.... but i fear it wont be so easy as you have similar problems..

my main problems are the head/rim separation rimshot works but rimclick ?? don´t like a solution where i need an extra pad or having to use different velocities (higher for rimshot, lower for click..)

and for good dynamics i have to set threshhold to -48... i don´t play metal..

especially as the combination atv module and atv snare works really nearly similar to an acoustic snare
i will try further but perhaps i have to stick with atv or keep both modules cause for toms and bass drumit works ok

edcito

I see, if I'm not mistaken, the 3 zone atv snare is only 3 zone when used with the ATV module... The only 3 zone snare fully compatible with the drumit 3 is the yamaha silicon pad XP120, welshsteve is using one and it works well for him he says, maybe he can share his settings to test if the atv snare works as the xp120 with the same settings? I doubt it but try it anyway.

ANGR77

Hi!

The ATV aD-S13 seems to be using a 3 piezo implementation in series for the head trigger, piezo for the rim and a third piezo as the crossticks trigger. 

The PADPP should be the type to select for the head trigger.
The RIM for the rim trigger.

Ok, why is the Yamaha working...it is because it is using a piezo for the head trigger and a switch for the rim and a switch for the x-sticks.  And yes...a piezo, switch, switch is the only way to get a three zones snare on 2box DrumIt Three.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

welshsteve

I can confirm, 3zone Yamaha pad and settings is the only way to get 3 zones from a single snare channel on the PadPY trigger setting. You also have to have a special 3zone dsdn sound made. The older Yamaha TP120 is what I am using and it's working great! The XP120 apparently works just as well but I haven't tried it.

I have an Jobeky 13" snare lying around and was gonna implement it with a BT-1 for side stick sounds, but never got around to it. Maybe just to mix things up a little, I'll try that and report how it faired.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

motte

The atv snare seems to be a two zone snare, they separate the rimclick by
Detecting higher frequencies of the wooden crosstickpart attatched to the rim, there is no cable or 3rd piezo. 

edcito

Quote from: motte on December 08, 2018, 08:56:56 AM
The atv snare seems to be a two zone snare, they separate the rimclick by
Detecting higher frequencies of the wooden crosstickpart attatched to the rim, there is no cable or 3rd piezo.

Yes, and that only works flawlessly when used with the AD5 Module, however if you plan to get sounds from any VST you can make 3 zone snares with any pad using the features of SDSE. For the stock sounds is doable but more complicated and not automated.

It depends on what you want, but I'd recommend you to get a VST and get the 3 zone snares done with SDSE, you'll have less hiss/noise and the occasionally human voice saying "perfect"...

edtc

Quote from: edcito on December 08, 2018, 09:12:08 AM
I'd recommend you to get a VST and get the 3 zone snares done with SDSE, you'll have less hiss/noise and the occasionally human voice saying "perfect"...

less hiss noise ? how is that possible ?

motte

ok folks

after fighting hours with the module and settings i am on a good way..
i could not imagine, that a brand new modern module is so hard to configure.. even head tension,
distance trigger-head needed a fine tuning to get it working...  the atv ad5 module is set up in 2 minutes,  with crosstalk and trigger settings..

But now i like it more and more, with some vst-files (SD2) it sounds pretty good, need to experiment with different samples.. hope i get the sound quality i am used from atv.

The open architecture for wav-files is great, makes fun to experiment

thanks for your  help

scheinriese

Hi folks,
sorry if I wake up this thread, but I just bought a D3 (has not arrived yet) and have a ATV aDRums Artist Shellset, so I also have the Snare.
Can you share your settings for the snare motte? And if you also have the toms and kick maybe these settings, too? That would be great!
Thanks in advance!