News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Module problem?

Started by Rmiller, November 18, 2018, 01:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rmiller

Whe playing the ride and kick simultaneously, the ride decays as though it’s being cut off. Also happens when playing the snare and ride together. Doesn’t happen with any other pads, ride rings and decays correctly. I have swapped cables, changed samples, adjusted settings etc. but to no avail. Anyone else experience this or any ideas?

digitalDrummer

Which module? New or used?

Jman

Quote from: Rmiller on November 18, 2018, 01:32:58 AM
Whe playing the ride and kick simultaneously, the ride decays as though it’s being cut off. Also happens when playing the snare and ride together. Doesn’t happen with any other pads, ride rings and decays correctly. I have swapped cables, changed samples, adjusted settings etc. but to no avail. Anyone else experience this or any ideas?
You might want to turn the Crosstalk to Off for the Ride if you haven't already. I doubt that is it because normally you will just get missed hits AFAIK when it is a crosstalk issue, but it is worth a try.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Rmiller

New Drummit3. Had it for 8 months. Been doing it all along.
Tried turning crosstalk off. I have tried about everything I can think of thus the post. What is strange to me is it only happens with the kick and snare. It’s almost like the midi notes for the kick and/or snare are triggering a midi rapid decay event on the ride or the poly sounds generated are interfering with the ride. Another thing I noticed is when hitting a Tom and the ride at the same time, even though the ride rings and decays correctly, there is a very slight increase in the ride volume vs when playing it solo.
Also I have the Jman32gb card mod. Installed it when I bought the module so can’t send it in.

ANGR77

Hi!

Please post your ride e-cymbal type and the 2box settings for your ride.

Sometimes when picking a wrong trigger type in 2box...this could actually freeze the sounds for the targeted pad.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Rmiller

Using newer 16” Alesis 3 zone ride, and newer Alesis 14” 3 zone ride for crashes. CyPSS or CyPSB works best. (Not Stike cymbals) Tried all cymbal type settings.Also using all Lauren drums. What is interesting though are the kits I created in AD2 and put on the card are not near as noticeable as the factory kits. I don’t think it’s a midi issue either because when I hook up to my computer via a midi cable, turn Local off, and trigger AD2, everything works fine. Even thought my kick trigger may have been a little “hot”  but tested it with a different pad connected to the kick input with no difference. It’s more like the sound engine won’t generate a kick and cymbal sound decay simultaneously. As the cymbal sound decays and the kick is triggered, the kick interrupts the cymbal decay momentarily each time it’s triggered creating a kind of cymbal echo effect for each beat of the kick and not letting the cymbal ring and decay as it should or does without the kick interruption. As said before not nearly as pronounced (just barely) on kits created from AD2. Maybe a firmware update is in order? I have not tried it thru headphones yet or bussed thru channels 3 and 4, only the entire mix thru outs 1 and 2. Thats the last step I can think of.

Note: AD2 kits were created using Lustar software.

welshsteve

Here's a test, hit the edge of the ride, then do a fast roll on the bow with no other sounds (kick snare etc) only to test a single channel.
If you hear the edge cut off, i.e. it's still happening, it sounds like you're hearing the polyphony limitation of every channel.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Rmiller

Well I found my problem. It had nothing to do with the module thank goodness. I run my system thru a mixer and have a rack EQ and a limiter. It was the limiter settings causing the issue. When going thru headphones I did not have the problem so that pointed me to my sound system. The good thing is I learned a lot about the module as well as the correct limiter settings for my setup. As usual the culprit is usually something simple in the chain of the signal processing. The only thing I wish the the module had was some reverb and phase effects but still very happy with it. I also think the bus sub mixing could use some work.

Jman

I noticed in the earlier post you mentioned the "Last thing" you were going to test is just through the headphones. Personally this is the first thing I would have done. Test through headphones connected directly to the module ..... Just sayin ....  ;)
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Rmiller

In hindsight (20/20) I agree that I should have used the headphones first. Lesson learned.  I will say I learned a lot from it all and I have been doing this a while.