News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Recording from the module to my computer

Started by Drummergrl39, November 13, 2018, 04:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drummergrl39

Hi guys!

I'm new.  By new, I mean, really really new to electronic drums.  I have used Jman's cymbal triggers on my old L80's and they work great and I have used his triggers inside my drums and everything is working very well.  I'm comfortable with the module and how things are sounding.  I'd like to record some things to my computer now and I don't know how.  I know it's a huge thing to ask, but would somebody explain to me how I do this?  In the easy, I don't know anything at all about this way?

thanks so much!

paulf707

Happy to help if I can, but I can only answer with more questions.....
Do you want to record your drums alone, or with a backing track?
Are you playing the backing track on your computer, or from the drumit module?
Do you want to be able to mix the track after recording (i.e. adjust the relative volumes of the different drums after recording)?

I play a Drumit5, but I think the D3 has 4 or 6 audio outputs (depending on if you use the headphone output as additional audio outs).
If you want to have some mixing options, the you'll need a 4 or 6 input audio interface for your PC - that will be more expensive than a simpler 2 input interface (but if you only record in stereo then you won't be able to do any mixing afterwards). You will need a relatively good quality interface to ensure it comes with good drivers to allow low latency - look for ASIO drivers and USB2 or USB3 interfaces. (Firewire is also good, but more expensive and probably unnecessary). I use Focusrite interfaces, but there are many others.
If you are only recording audio (either 2 or more tracks) then Audacity is a free software package that will be sufficient.
Cakewalk is also free now - and that is a more full featured DAW software (including effects and options for Midi recording and VSTs) - again not necessary for very simple recording, but gives you room for growth in future....

I appreciate this is a lot of information...If you can start by answering the questions then I'll try and narrow it down a bit for you.

Rmiller

What computer are you using, Mac or Windows and what processor and how much ram?

Drummergrl39

Thank you!   

I’m going to use a laptop for now.  I may get a powerful iPad later but I can’t use the apple products I have now.  I will do the most simple thing first.  If I like it, I’ll get more complicated.  I think I’d like to be able to use loops and backing tracks.  It seems as if it could be very creative. 

Thank you so much for mentioning audacity and cakewalk.  I will start by looking at those. 

I’ve never been very techy but this seems to be really capturing my imagination!!!

Again thank you so so much!   

welshsteve

Another option, is to get a cheap midi interface. That way you only record the midi information coming out of of the drumit3. If you have a VST installed on your computer, this can be used as a plug in in a recording software like Reaper or Cakewalk. You'll probably require some mapping hurdles to overcome for it to record like how you play however.

But that aside, you could also take the midi out of your laptop back into the module to edit/mix parts later. The benefit is that you can adjust drum sounds later before mix down. If you wanna got down that round, you would have separate tracks for each part of the kit (requiring some further muting of parts each time you want to have a separate track, unless someone has a better way of doing that) I did this many times. But it means if you have stereo channels for kick, snare, toms, cymbals and hats you can process them (eq, compression and effects) later before mix down.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Drummergrl39

Well I hope some day to be that savvy. 

I’m going to start with cakewalk and see where it leads. 

You all have been immensely helpful.  I had no idea where to even start!

Thank you !

Rmiller

You didn’t say if your laptop is windows or Mac. If it is a Mac Logic Pro X is one of the best DAW’s by far to learn. It cost about $200 and worth every penny and is every bit as good as Pro Tools (probably the best Windows based DAW) but at a fourth of the cost. They are both pro level but are easy to learn the basics. It’s all the advanced stuff that has a fairly steep learning curve but well worth it in the long haul. I use Logic and have tried most others but always come back to Logic. The link below is to one of the best series of tutorials on Logic by far and they’re free. I have saved them all to my iPad for references when I can’t remember something because there is so much and many ways to achieve something.There are somewhere around 80+ but many are for plugins etc.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXmi76euGSyzX8KMPAHJPyOSZy5w4CsV9
Have fun.

Drummergrl39

Oh.  I’m sorry.  I thought saying laptop instead of Mac... 

But that really sounds like a cool way to do it.  I’m sort of in over my head.  I’m really just learning.  The cakewalk thing seems very complicated, but I’ll just dive in and see what I can do. 

I do think this might all be easier with a Mac and might go that route if I feel too overwhelmed.  So your advice is very useful!

Thank you. 

Rmiller

We all started at the beginning and grew from there. It does take some time but will eventually come together. If you don’t understand something, do research, ask questions like your doing and don’t give up until you do understand it. Some things will make your head hurt at first but that’s where perseverance pays off. The journey is some of the best part of it all and you will get a better sense of accomplishment as well.  Once you get it, the real fun begins.
You should still check out the link to the Logic tutorials and watch the first few. They will help you understand how recording to most DAW’s work. With Cakewalk it will be somewhat similar, just different menus, some lingo, etc. and not as much capabilities. If you decide to try the iPad, Auria Pro is very powerful and a great DAW. It’s only about $40 but also worth it. They have excellent support, updates etc. link is http://auriaapp.com. I have an iConnect Audio4 audio interface that works really well with an iPad or iPhone as well as any computer, laptop, desktop, Windows or Mac. Highly recommend it. Link is http://iconnectivity.com. With it an iPad becomes an instrument itself by downloading synth apps like Sunrizer , Animoog, ThumbJam etc. and record your drum tracks or hook up a midi keyboard controller and control the synth apps. Arpeggiators are fun to use.  ;DAlso, you can use the iPad version of GarageBand , a dumbed down version of Logic, but I prefer Auria Pro for an iPad. With the iConnect hooked up to a good sound system, it really shines. So again, take your time, read and learn. Lots of tutorials on YouTube. There is a lot to learn but it will open up a whole new and creative world to you. Enjoy.